1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Troops to Teachers

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by jamming, Dec 28, 2002.

1. jamming

jamming Banned

[gl]Here's what you can do Steve for the new job.[/gl]

Groton Sailors Learn About Troops to Teachers

Release Date: 12/25/2002 5:15:00 AM
    By: Journalist 1st Class Mark A. Savage, Submarine Group 2 Public Affairs

GROTON, Conn. (NNS) -- The Navy College Office here recently hosted a Troops to Teachers (TTT) seminar at the Submarine Force Library and Museum. Ken McCann, a representative from the Northern New England Troops to Teachers office, informed Sailors and family members about the TTT program, eligibility requirements and benefits to individuals.

Troops to Teachers is a U.S. Department of Education and Department of Defense program that helps eligible military personnel begin a new career as teachers in public schools where their skills, knowledge and experience are highly desired.

For Article:

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

As a prior AETC Master Instructor, I qualify for this program. It's a great way for some to continue teaching once they leave the military.

3. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Gosh, I don't know...do schoolkids really need me to teach them how to penetrate non-permissive airspace flying a NOE profile? Other than being the Aviation Safety Officer for a couple of months and a maintenance test pilot for sixty days, I can't imagine anything else I could teach. Attack Helicopter Operations in the Assembly Area? How you too can revet your lowered Honda Civic like an Apache? :haha:

SM

4. jamming

jamming Banned

How about Networking? Bar Hop-ing?

5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

A teacher can be assigned many different subjects and teach them. Obviously the more background you have in a subject the better off you are. Is there a teacher out there who did not have to fill in for somebody with little notice and yet still did a good job. The best rating I ever received as a CGS instructor was taking somebody's place with 30 minutes notice. I always felt the best way to teach was to go from known ground, in other words K.I.S.S. Many instructors, particularly in the military, want to act like every subject is esoteric. Break it down to the simple and teach from there. Once you do that and have the students answering the questions all you have to do is keep it in line and make sure the teaching points are covered.

6. yazdzik

yazdzik Veteran Member

Yes.

7. Biker

OMG! I think that's the shortest post I've ever seen Martin do! :eek:

8. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Steve, you sell yourself *way* too short. You have a wealth of life experiences to draw upon that would make you one hell of a teacher.

You have a love for learning, the ability to communicate, discipline to set goals in order to meet a task. The ability to adjust on the fly.

Everything that is required to communicate knowledge to young people.

Just because you get involved with teaching does not mean you have to give up flying or any other goal.

You can use it to springboard to those other plans. It puts money in your pocket and is not a 12 month a year job.

Don't lock yourself in a box. Consider everything.

9. Sierra Mike

Thanks Mike...though I'm still not sure I'm qualified to teach Yuppie Larvae all that much. :haha:

SM

10. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

You teach me every time I read one of your posts.

In a discussion with a CT scanner service engineer (seems every one I ever met got their training in the military), he said the difference between a civilian and someone in the military is that a civilian is self-oriented while the military person is task oriented.

I like to flatter myself that a little bit of that philosophy has rubbed off on me.

You could do a lot just by teaching some of that to those Yuppie Larvae. Make them more responsible, productive and better members of society.

Hell, if you do that, you'll have accomplished more than earning that ATP ticket.

You'll have earned a piece of immortality. For our children is how we touch the future is it not?

Mike

11. Biker

Careful.. In today's society, teaching our kids to actually be responsible could result in many parents jumping up and down screaming that we shouldn't be teaching our kids those kinds of values.

12. Sierra Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the kind words. I don't think I'm necessarily outfitted to teach the young, because they make me nervous in large groups.

Biker,

You're exactly right!

SM

13. jamming

jamming Banned

Try teaching the kids that want to be there, that need to be there because they need that job or its back to the hood. I think they are motivated enough for you Steve.

14. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Parents do not always know best. The customer is not always right.

Politicians, administrators and others in leadership roles are supposed to *lead* while carrying out the 'will of the people'.

This means taking an unpopular stance, explaining why it's a better way and selling it. Values like I mentioned never go out of style and will serve a person well through life.

Large groups make you nervous? There are courses for that.

If you want to do it, you *can* do it. Easy? No.

Anything truly worthwhile seldom is.

'If you set your heart on achieving something, then you will surely get it'.

Mike