1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trojan Hunter -- oddity

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Robert Harris, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

With assistance of folks here I have Trojan Hunter up and running, and latest definitions. It doesn't find anyuthing, which is goods. But it gives one odd message, here:

File scan
    While scanning E:\Reference Files\Computers\Aero Info, Up\New\SP0891.zip: File f:\temp\SP0891.EXE not found
    No trojan files found

It is set up to scan zip files, and there are lots on my disk. It gives this message with only one of them Apparently it can't open the file -- but the named file is there, and I can open the zip and see it.

But if Trojan Hunter can't open the zip file how does it know the name of the file that is zipped up in it, the file it can't find?

Strikes me as odd, but maybe there is some simple explanation that escapes me. :)

2. IamZed

IamZed ...

I would imagine it knows the zip volume the same as a zip app does. So it knows what should be there. It did not find one file in the index is all.

3. Robert Harris

There is only one file in the zip file, the one named in the message. I am just puzzled at how it could find the name of the file without finding the only file there.

I dunno...

4. jamming

jamming Banned

This only occurs that I am aware of if the Zip file is packed with a password, it can read the name but not open the file to scan.

5. Robert Harris

Hmmm. Don't think that's it. I just unpacked it without using a password. I wouldn't know what the password is since the file came from Compaq's web site already zipped.

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Zip uses it's own authentication when zipping ANY file. Some programs can get in to the "db" and know what should have been there.

I wouldn't worry about it though.

7. claire

claire Registered User

If needed you can always ask questions to Magnus,
    the Coder of Trojan Hunter, at
    http://www.misec.net/forum/

He and others fellows are always ready to help and the answer comes always fast.

8. Robert Harris

This is not the kind of thing that will keep me awake nights if I cannot find an answer. Just a curious thing -- but computers are full of curious and sometimes unexplainable things. I have learned to live with it. :)

9. jamming

jamming Banned

Well, Go on over to the Forum over there Bob and put Magnus name in the post heading and I think you will have your answer within 24hrs.

http://www.misec.net/forum/