1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Trivia]What's the significance of the name?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, May 10, 2006.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Somewhere in America, between the Appalachians and the Rocky Mountains, is a team named the "Thirty-Niners".

What is the name of the sponsoring organization of this team and what is the significance of the team's name?

Hints:

It has nothing to do with historical dates. This trivia is in the Entertainment, and not Sports, forum for a reason. :)

Another hint: It's unlikely, though not impossible, that anyone under the age of, oh, 55, will get this one.

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

There are a lot of retirement groups with that name. ;)

3. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

There's a reason for that, related to the answer to the trivia question ;)

4. tke711

Oh man....it was a celebrity....what was his name....

He used to always joke that he'll never admit to being over 39...

Argh....... :)

5. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

You been lying about your age, old man? :lol:

6. tke711

Jack Benny?

7. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

What about him? ;)

8. tke711

LOL....nah....just have a father that watched that kind of stuff all the time when I was a kid. :)

9. tke711

He's the guy that would never admit to being over 39, which is why many of the retirement groups adopted the name.

As for the answer you are looking for in the original question on who is sponsoring the particular group you are talking about, I have no idea. :)

10. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Ah, you came close enough, I'll give it to you :)

The Jack Benny Middle School, in Waukegan, IL is home to the 39'ers, named, of course, after his famous claim to never have been older than 39 :)

Jack Benny was a high-school dropout; when the school was dedicated in his name, he was present at the ceremony and said that is was the proudest day in his life.

Funny man, I catch him sometimes on the XM comedy channel.

11. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Just an aside here, but local radio here re-runs all of the Jack Benny radio programs from the 30's, 40's and early 50's. Some of those were really very good shows. If you can get them broadcast (with the original commercials) in your area, you won't be disappointed in taking some time out to listen to them.