1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Trivia]What is it?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Once considered "dead" as a direct result of the largest failed social experiment in human history, life is now returning as surely as the rains fall from the sky. Displaced families are returning to old professions and life is looking good in a depressed area that now has hope. What was once one, became two, will again be one.
  2. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

Germany? As in the recovery of the East/West after the fall of the Berlin Wall.
  3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Damn, good guess. Although I don't know if this is the answer. :)
  4. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

You know what, Frodo? That is a damned good guess!

Not what I had in mind, though :)

All is not lost, you've nailed the "failed social experiment part".
  5. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

umm..... What is Disco? :happy:
  6. ravital

ravital Banned

Turning around the same failed social experiment, I was going to point to Yemen and Korea, but I'm not sure either.
  7. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Think of the legacies, perhaps the most damaging and serious legacy, of that failed social experiment.
  8. ethics

Since it's posted in European section, I have to say Communism? I would have also stated that people are returning to Pamyat (Chernobyl) but that has stopped and reversed.

Otherwise, I am clueless. :)
  9. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Communism is, of course, the "failed social experiment", but not the answer to the question. Pamyat's not a bad guess, either, especially since it was recently featured in NG magazine, but still not the answer.

Another hint: central Asia.
  10. ethics

Dammit, once you said Central Asia I knew it was the Aral Sea!

Edit: And now kicking my own ass for missing some "clue words" like rain and old professions. :)
  11. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

My trivia posts always have good clues :)

Aral Sea is correct. A dam project and some other initiatives have resulted in a major inflow of fresh water, in greater quantities and well ahead of projections. Salinity is decreasing, pollution is being diluted (though will most likely always be a problem). Fishing is once again a viable and lucrative occupation. There is even the probability that enough water will return to the basin for the two halves to be rejoined as one.

Read the good news here.
  12. ethics

Good trivia, Steve. :)
  13. ravital

ravital Banned

We learn something every day.

Thanks Steve :)