1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Trivia] Sort of....

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Who first proved by direct observation and mathematical calculation that the earth revolved in orbit around the sun, and not the other way around?
  2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

The answer is obvious to me so it's probably wrong but I would say Copernicus?
  3. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Wild guess here so don't laugh too hard. Gallilao? (sp)
  4. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

5. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Very good.

Now for the real question:

Why did Copernicus question the accepted orthodoxy? What was it that made him research something that was not only counterintuitive to observation by the naked eye but also heretical to the teachings of the Catholic Church?
  6. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

7. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

True...and true :)
  8. ethics

The positioning of the stars? Wasn't he the one that mapped the the directions and where the stars traveled on the sky? The only thing I can think as to why was because the Clerics were pretty damn sure of themselves about their Sun-centered 'facts'?
  9. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Mighty damned close, my friend, mighty close indeed! :)

Two things triggered it:

The first was the simple fact that the traditional explanation of retrograde motion, as given by Ptolemy and expanded by Aristotle, became increasingly complex over time, requiring layers and layers in nesting spheres to explain the observed aberrations in the motions of the planets.

The second was the even simpler fact that the Sun doesn't exhibit retrograde motion.

These two things, the increasingly unsupportable conventional theory and the observation of the one glaring exception to it, made him question it.
  10. ethics

AH! Wonderful trivia. Not too crazy and not too easy. :)