1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Trivia]Other than that....

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

This is probably going to be really easy for at least one of you, but here goes anyway and, remember, no looking this up!

Q: Other than the obvious thing, name one of the other two inventions for which Lester Polfus is famous.

2. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Looked it up: fascinating!

3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

He's a local boy, so I think I know the answer. Besides the guitar which he is most famous for, I believe he also invented the 8 track player.

4. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Ding! Ding!

And the name he's more commonly known by?

5. SixofNine

That's the one thing I knew, but I don't want to blurt it out in case anybody is still guessing.

6. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

So you knew his "common" name and what he was most famous for? That's impressive enough, I had no idea his name wasn't his real name :)

7. Domh

Domh Full Member

Les invented multi track recording.

The guy should be as famous as Edison et al.

:noworthy:

8. tke711

In music circles he's probably more famous! :)

9. tke711

Les Paul for those who haven't figured it out or googled by now. :)

10. SixofNine

I ran across that somewhere, along with the information that he was a tinkerer and an inventor, but I drew a complete blank on the 8-track, multi-track recording, close-miking, etc.

11. Domh

Domh Full Member

99% of the people listening to recorded music have no clue that Les Paul is the man who invented the reason recordings sound the way the do today... not like shit, but amazing.

Again...

:noworthy:

12. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

This one I actually knew....but I never see these things in time! :doh: Les Paul is the man!

13. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

This topic raised my curiosity about who invented what. Check out this link to MIT's Inventor of the week archive: http://web.mit.edu/invent/i-archive.html

They have a lot of entries in there covering everything from chocolate chip cookies to spacecraft.[SIZE=+0] Bookmark worthy in my opinion.[/SIZE]