1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[TRIVIA] Most Camera Spying In What Town?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jun 22, 2009.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

In the US, which is the most spied upon town and why do you think that? Please don't google it.

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I would guess Washington DC, but that's probably too obvious to be right.

3. ethics

Correct...

It's too obvious to be right. :)

4. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I read a year ago or so that it was NYC.

5. ethics

It is not now.

6. tke711

Wow...I googled it and am very surprised.

7. ethics

You have patience of a 3 year old. :p

8. tke711

Dude...a three year old has WAY more patience than me. :)

9. ethics

10. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

That's pretty funny, actually. There ain't shite in Lancaster, PA to be surveilling, in the first place :)

11. mikeky

mikeky Member

That's what Google needs to work on next, tapping into all the world's surveillance cameras and offering these live; think of the possibilities!

12. Allene

Allene Registered User

My first thought when I saw "Lancaster, PA" was the Amish, although the article doesn't say a word about them. I looked at a few of the comments, and someone does mention the Amish there. What I didn't know is that they don't want anyone to photograph them. One wonders how the powers that be in Lancaster obtained permission for all those cameras.

13. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Lancaster had a very bad drug-fueled crime problem several years. Due to some political shenanigans, the Reading Police Chief was essentially fired without cause; he promptly re-located to Lancaster, took the same job, and proceeded to make some very good progress against the crime problem. Lots of old-fashioned approaches, like putting on more foot patrols in bad neighborhoods, arrests for nuisance crimes, etc. But he's been gone (came back to Reading) for three years.

I'm guessing crime has crept back up again and no one seems to know why or what to do about it, so this camera company came in and promised an easy solution.

14. Allene

Allene Registered User

I see. This doesn't fit my mental picture of the Amish, though. What percentage of the population in that city is Amish?

15. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Practically none, in the city, except for those running businesses during the day. Anabaptists typically live on farms or small towns and eschew urban areas. Even those who own or run businesses (due to lack of farmland) in the city don't actually live there.

Lancaster has an Amish heritage but isn't actully "Amish".