1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Trivia]Identify the country

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Which nation in Europe is the most ecologically-damaged and also the most urbanized (more of the population lives in cities than elsewhere)?
  2. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

I'd say Ukraine just because of Chernobyl. Possibly Belarus since a lot of the radiation from Chernobyl ended up there.

Probably wrong though :)
  3. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

The damage is neither from chemicals nor radiation :)
  4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

5. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Because of the conditions of the question I would guess that the country is small. Do principalities count? Monaco?
  6. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Not Monaco or Russia.

Europe is large ;)
  7. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Hint: The landscape of this country looks nothing like it did before being settled by humans.
  8. ethics

9. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

Lichtenstein! :D
  10. SixofNine

That narrows it down to every country in the world. :D
  11. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

The Netherlands.
  12. SixofNine

Yeah, the dikes.
  13. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Ok here's a stab...France?
  14. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Europe is not necessarily a contiguous entity ;)
  15. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

The Vatican :angel:
  16. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Time for the answer: Iceland.

You may have heard that Iceland was deliberately mis-named to fool people. At the time of its discovery, Iceland was in fact quite green, covered with grassy meadows, forests, etc. Iceland resembled Norway and Sweden so European settlers quickly took advantage of the fertile, volcanic soil and began farming and livestock operations in the manner to which they were long accustomed.

Iceland has two important, and too-late recognized, differences, however. First, the soil is extremely light, really very fine volcanic ash. It is highly susceptible to wind- and water-driven erosion, unlike the heavier clay soils of Norway and Sweden and other North Atlantic islands.

The second problem is Icelands much more northern location results in a much shorter growing season and a much slower rate of growth for plants. Trees, once cut down, take far longer to grow back. Grassy meadows, plowed for crops or overgrazed by livestock, cannot readily grow back, not at any rate that can sustain continued agricultural activity, at least.

Those two factors combined with human activity on Iceland have resulted in a formerly green and fertile island becoming, almost literally, a barren moonscape. The effects on the countryside and the land's inability to support sustained agriculture of any kind are why over half of the island's population are concentrated in cities and towns, most in the capital city.
  17. Andy

And how would one actually have proof and know that?

For all we know, the place could have been a cesspool of monkey poo for over a millenium. :thumbsup:

My stab would be Svalbard.

Damn you... I wrote Iceland and changed it right before posting.. :lol:
  18. ethics

Good trivia.
  19. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Written, historical accounts dating from the time of the very first settlers.
  20. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Had I been logged in this morning I would ahve gotten your trivia.

Iceland is green and Greenland is ice was how it was explained to me while I was in school a couple eons ago.