1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Trivia]Economically It Makes More Sense for Me to Not Work This Summer Than To Work

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Techie2000, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Passed Away June 15th, 2009

No job in school = no job with my old company. HR ran statistical analysis showing college graduates who did not hold jobs during school or summer breaks performed substantially poorer. Absenteeism, retention, and quality of work were all much lower. But, what are the odds other Fortune 1000 companies will have similar policies.

A guy who can find lots of excuses not to work is probably a guy I wouldn't want working for my company. I'm just saying . . .

2. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Honestly, I didn't post this because I was "trying to make an excuse" or "justify" not working, I merely found it ironic that by working it is possible for me to lose money. Like I said, there are some avenues and variables I'm working on exploring to procure employment in a way that would make me money...

3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Matt, I've been running some numbers for you, and I can't see how this would cost you money, and if it does, it wouldn't be much.

$845.00 per year for insurance (19 year old male, basic liability, 1999 Honda Civic)
    $480.00 per year for gas ($30 a week for 16 weeks)
    $60.00 per year for oil changes (2x's per year)

That only equals $1385 a year, plus the registration costs in your State.

There is also the price of the vehicle, but that's a one time cost and like we've said above, you can just get a beater for $1000 or less.

Obviously I'm missing something because I'm sure you've run the numbers as well and must have come up with a much higher number then I did.

4. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

I can definately see where it would cost you more to work then not. When I worked in Seattle it was costing me more then now when I work on my own side of the water. You have to figure in the extras. It is never just the basics.

5. Techie2000

Dude, $845 for insurance?! I was figuring $2400/year for it. Unless I do not recall correclty I am pretty sure I was running $1200/6 months on the current beater that my brother now drives, and that's after student discounts etc. and with a clean record. Though I've been at the 16-18 year old rates so maybe they'll be nice enough to drop once I turn 19? I'll have more specifics figured out once it gets closer to summer probably.

6. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

That was just basic liability insurance (no comprehensive or collision) for a 19 year old in the city of Milwaukee. It could be quite different by you.

7. Techie2000

Well apparantly this problem got solved. My Dad recently got a new car. I guess I'll be driving the old one and he's going to sell it off after I go back to school. Woo.