1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Trivia] April 12

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Brazbit, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

April 12 is a significant date in the history of flight for at least two major milestones. Two different countries backed the events but the entire world has benefited. Without looking it up any guesses?

(Yes this should be a simple one.... at least for the older of the two events.)

2. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

First man in space?

3. Brazbit

That is one. Anyone got his name?

4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I know that April 12th was when Yuri Gragarin (sp) became the first man in space. Don't recall the other event.

5. Brazbit

6. Brazbit

Quick hint on the other one. It happened the same year IBM released the original IBM PC with it's powerful 4.77 MHz 8bit processor and 16k of ram.

7. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Launch of the first space shuttle?

8. Brazbit

Very good Steve.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/shuttle/sts1/sts1_25.html

I was browsing through MSNBC today and came across this article: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3217961/ and thought it might make a decent question. I would love to see spaceflight expand to it's promise instead of continually being reigned in like it has been during my lifetime. The lack of a goal seems to be the biggest thing right now. The various space agencies have nothing to build popular support around.

This statement from the NASA sight is sad in my opinion. There should be more to human spaceflight than the orbiters:
    For an entire generation the whole of manned travel in the final frontier has been accomplished by what is essentially a local delivery truck.