1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trent Lott, voted to keep African Americans out of his fraternity

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Techie2000, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

He has a long record of involvement with white supremacy groups in Mississippi. Lots of stories over the years. There will be more and more coming out in days to come.

3. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

y'know..presuming he really is a segregationist, I'd have alot more respect for him if he just admitted it. Not saying that I support segregation, but it would be nice to know what someone who is invovled in running our country really thinks. the political spin and backpedaling is tiresome.

4. jamming

jamming Banned

How about the concept that people grow-up and change their views as they grow older. Even adults learn what they thought as a twenty year old is not the same as when they are fourty, unless you are perfect. The people who have the opportunity to know him best are the ones who elected him. They really don't need other areas of the country telling them their elected official is not as good as those from other areas. I am sure if this is an issue that has legs in his home state, that he will face serious opposition in the next election. When I see Democrats get rid of Senator Byrd former member of the KKK, then I would think that what Senator Lot said praising an old colleague on his 100th birthday as newsworthy.

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Well said, Jim.

SM

6. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Well, Jesse Helms kept getting elected in NC - he never made any bones about his views, either, all the way back to when he was "only" a newspaper publisher. (I know several folks who worked for him way back when.) Some folks don't change, and won't, and no matter the "right" view, the majority <b>will</b> rule.

The only admiration I have for Strom and Jesse is that they're honest about it - and fully admit their views. Neither one has changed. I vehemently disagree with them and their views, and disapprove of damn near everything they stand for. Apparently I am in the minority - they've been re-elected to serve in the Senate for a very long time. Trent is another of their ilk, except that he is nowhere near as honest about it.

I'd rather have an enemy that tells me about it than one who works behind the scenes to perpetrate his hatred... I call that backstabbing.

<small>Edited to add missing word...</small>

7. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

Yup, Revrun Jesse Jackson has a few skeletons in his closet too... http://www.davidduke.com/library/badguys/spittingjesse.html

8. Robert Harris

9. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

"We urge all Whites that frequent fast-food chains and who are concerned about their health, to remember that if there are negroes preparing food there, you can bet that they are doing the same thing."

Uhhh.....

10. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

11. Robert Harris

Peggy Noonan is about as conservative as one can find in the pundit biz, and one of the intelligent ones. In her Wall Street Journal column today she concludes:

"And now let me translate. I'm saying Mr. Lott should step aside."

Full column, worth reading, at:
    http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/pnoonan/?id=110002761

12. FrankF

FrankF #55170-054

I just linked to the article... which just happens to be on David Duke's website. I don't see how that would affect my credibility.

13. Robert Harris

Anybody who knows what is on Duke's web site is suspect. :)

14. jamming

jamming Banned

Well I thought David Duke renounced the KKK when he ran for Congress, which makes him as respectable as Senator Robert Byrd (D - West Virginia), doesn't it?

15. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Jamming, the quote that's in my post is directly from Duke's website. I'm assuming since he houses such an article he agrees with what it says. And that article says that if you're a white person and value your health, don't eat at any fast food restaurant where 'negroes' work, as they will surely spit in your food....

16. jamming

jamming Banned

So do we have Senator Byrd's opinion about black's spitting on food? Look David Duke is a Moron, but to put him and Lott in the same boat is moronic too. However, in defense of Frank, who would be more eager to collect the dirt on Jesse Jackson than Duke? As to having it on Duke's website and Duke believing it, is not necessarily the same thing, but you are probably right. I wonder if the Declaration is there or the Constitution? (Un)Fortunately? I am not interested enough to do my own research there.

17. Robert Harris

Sorry, he put himself in that boat.

I think most folks busy defending Lott et. al. need a history lesson so they know what the boat looked like not too long ago -- in that era that Lott thinks we should not have left -- and why so many people worked passionately to sink it and feel passionately about what Lott had to say.

In the 1950s (and) earlier blacks were segregated, visciously, in most of the South. Not only in schools. They had to sit in the "back of the bus" on public transit systems and were not permitted to use the same facilities as whites -- ranging from public toilets and drinking fountains to restaurants and hotels. When I first drove to Washington, D.C. early in the 1960s I was shocked to see signs prominently posted in front of motels along the highway saying such things as :Whites Only". (Segregation was also common in the north, but was not practiced so explicitly or systematically, and was not enforced so viciously.

In the South blacks who got out of step with the wishes of the white masters could easily find themselves subject to violence, sometimes to being killed. Lynchings were common. One of the famous cases I recall from the 1950s was that of Emmet Till, a black teenager from Chicago (I think) visiting family somewhere in the deep south -- Ala. or Miss., I believe. He did not know the rules of the game, and when standing in front of a store one day he looked at a white woman the wrong way. A group of good old boys picked him up and killed him. For a good general description of what it was like, and details of a specific lynching, see:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ideas_opinions/story/42932p-40477c.html.

Perpetrators of these crimes were not prosecuted. As pointed out in the column cited, and they often were proud of their acts. We recently had an exhibit in New York of photos taken at lynchings (and I believe the exhibit was sent around the country to other places and put in a book.) The photos showed not only bodies hanging from trees but crowds of whites celebrating -- these often were not private murders conducted in secret places but public community events. Photos frequently were made into post cards so participants could send them to friends, have souvenirs, etc. And individuals did not hide their faces.

Just a couple of examples --

[​IMG]

That is a 1930 lynching. Looks like a party.

[​IMG]

That is Bennie Simmons, alive, soaked in coal oil before being set on fire. June 13, 1913. Anadarko, Oklahoma. This is from a postcard.

A simple search of the web will turn of lots of sites where many such photos and descriptive texts can be found. Take a look at a few.

http://www.english.uiuc.edu/maps/poets/g_l/lynching/lynching.htm

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2002/05/15/photographs.htm

http://www.journale.com/withoutsanctuary/main.html

There had been protests and political rumblings against these practices for a long time, and the 1948 election, when Thurmond ran for President as a Dixiecrat, was one manifestation. That split in the Democratic Party was caused by the Party adopting a plank in its campaign platform calling for equal civil rights for blacks and an end to lynchings. That was anathema to many politicians in the South and their supporters.

Thurmond lost that election, fortunately, but the battle to achieve equal civil rights for blacks was really just beginning. In the 1960s we, in effect, fought another civil war in this country. And war it was, with lots of blood being shed. White "agitators" working to get blacks to be able to vote were killed. Many blacks were killed. NAACP officials were gunned down in their homes, black chuirches were blown up with people inside. (Remember the little girls killed in a Birmingham church in 1963? Lots of information at:

http://www.useekufind.com/peace/)

Only in recent years have some of the murderers -- a few -- been charged and brought to trial. At the time their crimes were ignored in the areas where the crimes took place, although they sparked outrage elsewheree -- and those ignoring them included local law enforcement officials, including the FBI, or covered up.

This is a brief summary of the past that Thurmond wanted to preserve in 1948, an effort that Lott thinks was a good thing.

Another columnist nicely sums up my views of the Lott affaair and why his remarks and views are despicable and not something one can forgive.

Excerpts:

I don't know if Lott is a racist. But as I wrote the other day, I certainly agree with Al Gore - the first to bash him - that Lott's praise of Thurmond was a racist comment, like many of Lott's other statements over the past two decades.

I also know this: Racism is America's continuing shame. For my generation, which came of age in the 1960s, it was the issue and condition many hoped finally to put behind us. Our parents and grandparents had kept the nation safe and prosperous. We would deal with the ingrained vestiges of racism that have survived the many legislative and court-ordered efforts to correct what the Founding Fathers had ignored.

In large measure, we've failed. Color still colors hiring, housing, pay, interpersonal relations and, yes, our politics, too.

Which is why, at the start of the 21st century, the President of the United States should not only deplore Lott's statements, but say that his party, the party of Lincoln, cannot tolerate in one of its key roles a man who says such things.

The White House hopes the furor will die. It hasn't - and it shouldn't.

More at:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_report/story/43093p-40615c.html

18. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

No, but tell that to Jesse. He doesn't understand it. Plus Jesse unlike Trent is not held accountable to anyone for what he does or says and hides behind the PC shield of his color. What exactly is this man's occupation?

With Trent at least, whatever happens he is being held so far to a significant degree of accountability and his effectiveness has been at the least damaged and depending on the future he may be out. If not now on his next slip. Plus his effectiveness has certainly been weakened by all this if he stays.

Jesse well, well, he will always be around. No matter what he says and does and domestically in many ways has more power than Lott and has had for many years. Fortunately, his power has waned in recent years as more and more people of all races have come to the conclusion he is just a self-serving opportunist living off the fears and racial prejudices of others.

Oh, well back to Lott. What happens to him is not unimportant but it is not as important politically in terms of power as some people and the press makes it. It he goes he will just be replaced by someone else from the GOP and who would possibly be more effective. Whatever happens it will just depend upon how successful the Democrats can continue to play the race card--true or not.

19. jamming

jamming Banned

Psst....Bob I live in the Land Of Flowers in the South. I know what Racism, I can take you to a small town where the Klan still demonstrates at the Court House on the weekends to recruit. My Mentor before Seminary was a *Man that was thrown in Jail for demonstrating peacefully in the Florida Capital. I went to Seminary and was taught by one of the other men in the famous photo after King's Assassination. I didn't just talk desegregation I lived through it, I know what it at stake. But you know what I don't know?

I don't know what is in the heart of any man, Trent Lott or yourself. I have to trust when you apologize for mistakes and I have to give him the same consideration. Why? because I don't know what is in your hearts.

*BTW he was White and Conducted the first interracial church service and marriage in the Capital.

20. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Well said!