1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Trailer] Avatar

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by SixofNine, Aug 21, 2009.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

The James Cameron Avatar, not The Last Airbender.

With all the CGI this could go either way for me, but I'm not going to decide based only on this trailer.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fXF2nH4Z9sc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fXF2nH4Z9sc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

The trailers have gotten mondo good press...and if there's anyone who could pull this off, it's the man who gave us Titanic! (And The Terminator and Aliens, of course.)

SM

3. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I'm puzzled. All the press surrounding this acts like we're supposed to know about Avatar, in the first place, like it was a graphic novel or something before Cameron came along and made it into a feature-length film.

The trailer looks fine and I'm a sucker for both animation and sci-fi; the combination is almost always a winner in my book, but - did I miss the backstory or something?

4. Sierra Mike

You missed nothing, other than this is original storytelling. It did not appear in any other media, which is probably why you're confused in this era of remakes and based-ons. ;)

SM

5. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Mechs = excited about movie
    Elf like creatures = Want to hurl

Since the focus is the elves and not the mechs I think I might pass.

When the trailer for this started I saw the futuristic military stuff and started going through my list of potential titles and started to get really pumped up. Then the whole elf thing started and I decided I could pass on this one. Still may see it but probably not in theaters.

6. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

7. Sierra Mike

This movie looks simply stunning.

SM

8. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Yeah, this one is going on my list. Thanks for that second trailer, Steve.

9. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

From the looks of the trailer, they couldn't decide if they wanted to make a World of Warcraft or Starcraft movie so they just mixed them together. ;)

10. Sierra Mike

Dun be jealous now!

SM

11. Greg

Greg Full Member

Read this: avatar on Dictionary.com first.

Okay I'm a sucker for graphic novels turned into films, and I've enjoyed almost all of them. This is just a graphic novel without the novel first, as it appears to me.

I'm game. I'll Netflix it. :)

12. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives Luke, I am NOT your father!

Jealous? What do I have to be jealous about, I already have 3 grown movies and a little one on the way. :lol:

13. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

14. Arc

Arc Full Member

All I need to know to be motivated to spend money to go see it is that Jim Cameron made it. (Director AND writer.)

Regardless of how good or bad the movie is from an entertainment standpoint the technology used and the combination of technologies mixed together will set a new standard and likely be the standard for all major films in the future.

15. Sierra Mike

16. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

He made Titanic. Enough said.

17. Sierra Mike

OK, if you want to make up your mind ahead of time. :)

SM

18. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Yeah, because that's the only <a href="http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000116/">movie he's ever made</a>, so you HAVE to judge him on that one. :)

19. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

That ONE has balanced ANYthing good he has ever done. Forever and ever!

"I'm on top of the fucking world!!!!"

Idiot!

20. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Technically, that line was "I'm king of the world!" ;)