1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tragic Allergic Reaction

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Jul 31, 2013.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

This family did everything right and their daughter still died.

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Holy shit, that's rough.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Wow...

Are these new allergies en masse for kids these days? Is it because we are seeing it in press now? I don't recall seeing or hearing about kids with allergies to peanuts when I was growing up.

4. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I've been wondering the same thing for a few years now. A good portion of our daughters friends have gluten or nut allergies. When I was growing up, the only allergies any of my friends had were outdoor based (rag weed, pollen, etc.) and some pet allergies.

I was talking with a food scientist colleague of mine the other day and asked him the same question. He too doesn't know how to explain it but does suspect it has to do with what the mothers eat (or don't eat) during pregnancy and what we feed (or don't feed) our kids as infants and toddlers.

5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

My personal opinion is society is coddling the kids too much as soon as they're born. Anti-bacterial soaps, sterilizing everything from toys to clothes, kids aren't being exposed to the germs and bugs that many of us were exposed to 50 years ago.

People like to point fingers at the food industry and the ingredients that they're including, but I think it's more basic than that. I have a sneaky hunch that parents are doing it to their kids, and they're completely unaware of the damage they're doing by keeping the kids' environment too sterile.

6. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Wtf does exposure to germs and bugs at birth have to do with nut allergies??

And for the record, my 3rd kid has nut allergies and neither me or her mother do.

I do look forward to your usual expert explanation on this though of which her doctors didnt tell us.

7. Biker

What is an allergy? It's a reaction from your immune system. Exposing your immune system to more bugs strengthens it IMO. Make the environment too sterile and your immune system doesn't get the workout it needs to do its job properly.

8. SixofNine

ethics likes this.
  9. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

I remembered reading about Israel and (lack of) peanut allergies. I found the link:
    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/israelis-babies-peanut-products-escape-125040544.html
    and the study:
    http://www.jacionline.org/article/S0091-6749(12)01824-6/fulltext
    Basically, they found that in Israel where a peanut snack has 25% of the market and is given to kids as little as six months old, the rate of peanut allergies is far less than in England, (and other countries).
    The study also found that if you give small amounts daily it will desensitize the body to the allergy.

ethics likes this.
  10. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

So more or less what Tom said, exposure. Need exposure.

Andy, don't ever take any of this stuff personally. You didn't do anything wrong and you are in no way to blame for any of that. It's one of those things, bro.

11. Biker

It's beginning to look like "exposure" is key to preventing some allergies.

Peanut foods for infants may prevent allergies: panel

ethics likes this.
  12. SixofNine

My daughter participated in an exposure-oriented FDA clinical trial at Johns Hopkins. She had a very sensitive dairy allergy, I'm talking trips to the ER. She went to Johns Hopkins once a week where they gave her small but ever increasing amounts of dairy. She also had a powder that she took every day in between visits. Her dairy allergy is completely gone. Of course, it takes years for clinical trials to make it to the market.

Allene likes this.
  13. Biker

Peanut allergy cured in majority of children in immunotherapy trial

ethics, Allene and SixofNine like this.