1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top ten ways to an early grave

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Oct 31, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

According to the World Health Organisation (WHO), a report on one of its largest research projects yet, it said the top 10 killers, in order of deadliness, were:

1. Malnourishment
    2. Unsafe sex
    3. High blood pressure
    4. Smoking
    5. Alcohol
    6. Bad water and poor sanitation
    7. Iron deficiency
    8. Smoke inhalation from indoor fires
    9. High cholesterol
    10. Obesity
      [/list=1]

The report said the top 10 killers accounted for more than one-third of the 56-million deaths around the world annually.

The report also slated the large amount of salt added to industrially produced food like bread.

Salt reduction was the most cost-effective way of tackling high blood pressure, it said, and legislation was the most reliable way of bringing this about.

2. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

bullets one and ten are rather opposite sides of a spectrum aye?

3. ethics

YES!

Moral of the report? Moderation!!! ;)

4. mikeky

mikeky Member

Four (Unsafe sex, Smoking, Alcohol, Obesity) of the top ten are directly influenced by the individual, and three more (High blood pressure, Smoke inhalation from indoor fires, High cholesterol) can be influenced by the individuals response to them (e.g., smoke detectors, diet).

What this tells me is that, for the most part, we are killing ourselves.

5. ethics

Re: Re: Top ten ways to an early grave

Succinct! :thumbsup:

6. John R. Beanham

John R. Beanham Typical Aussie Male

Only one of the 10 (guess) applies to me, so does that mean i am going to live forever?

My ambition is to be shot by a jealous, 25 year old, husband at the age of 98.

John.

7. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

I can't find a link right now, but, I thought I saw a statement that:
    On this planet, 30,000 children, under the age of 6, die from malnutrition (starvation?), every day.
    I thought, damn.
    Sure, we've all got our priorities & problems, but that's quite a number.

Meanwhile, it seems (more and more) that, lately, what I was told was good for me, now isn't.
    It seems we're poisoning ourselves out of existence.
    Problem is, we may be on a short leash here.
    I guess we'll see.

Regards,

8. John R. Beanham

jfcjrus,

"On this planet, 30,000 children, under the age of 6, die from malnutrition (starvation?), every day."

With 6 billion humans on this planet and 12 billion due in about 40 years we had all better get used to these sort of figures. They are going to get a HELL of a lot worse before they get better which is after Mother nature has solved the problem for us.

If EVERY American gave EVERY cent he had to the poor starving masses of the 3rd world the problem would not go away, it would be put off for a year at the most.

John.

9. -Ken

-Ken Guest

John,

I find your statement incredibly disheartening. Perhaps we should
    give up on diseases also. And since murder seems to not go away,
    we should just decide to ignore that problem.

There are answers to these problems if we choose to address them.

There are studies out there which indicate the earth can easily
    support 50 billion people, if we are willing to live a slightly
    less wasteful lifestyle.

-Ken

10. John R. Beanham

Ken,

I disagree with this statement completely.

This planet has an ENORMOUS problem supporting the 6 billion and how the hell we can support 50 billion is beyond me, ESPECIALLY since that figure WILL double in less than half a century.

It is not simply a matter of a "slightly less wasteful lifestyle", it is a matter of the use of productive land, the costs of production of grains and other forms of food, science and GM research, payment of the costs, free? distribution, fair unrestricted trade, population control and all the other factors I can't bring to mind at the moment.

Even if the developed nations gave the 3rd world FREE food for life, would that solve the problem? No it would not, they would simply sit in the nest like a bunch of chicks, with their mouths open awaiting the free food.

I believe that the western world has basically given up on the continent of Africa. The world's leaders will never admit it but they have. The problem is unsolvable simply because the figures do not add up. With 375 million people riddled with civil wars and inter-tribal war, they spend the foreign aid and IMF loans on T.55s and AK47s.

John.

11. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

You know, more and more we are accepting the notion of our own interdependence upon one another. Witness the case against second hand smoke. We enact laws mandating helmets and seat belts, and argue against free will by pointing out that resultant injuries jack up insurance premiums for all of us. I wonder if this attitude will ever extend to regulating the number of children we are permitted? I know it's an emotionally charged issue, but in an over-populated world that may someday face resource shortages, should a decision that might worsen the situation rest with billions of individuals. Isn't that how we got in this mess in the first place? :(