1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top ten superpowers

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by midranger4, Jan 12, 2003.

1. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Can anyone provide a list of the world's top ten SuperPowers so I can keep better score when watching the next episode of *Axis of Evil* on Fox News?

I get confused because it appears to me that anyone that remotely pisses us off is considered a * major threat*.

I would be curious to see a list of the top ten military powers if such a list exists.

2. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I think you'd be looking for the Top Ten Targets.

SM

3. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

That's right. A top 10 list in conventional warfare would be one superpower ... and nine midgets.

4. Sierra Mike

:haha:

SM

5. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Let me rephrase please.

Who are the top ten most powerful countries from a military perspective.

6. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

U.S.
    Great Britain
    China
    India
    Pakistan
    Germany
    Russia
    Ukraine
    Brazil
    France

In no particular order, and France is only on there because they possess nukes.

7. Sierra Mike

What is your criteria? From size alone or from real combat power?

SM

8. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Real combat power I would presume.

I just seek a bit of perspective is all.

Thanks,

Mid

9. Sierra Mike

Aha...that makes it a little more complex. You want nukes tossed into the equation, or just straight-up conventional combined arms? There are some armies out there that could kick ass but would, obviously, be rendered combat ineffective by a smaller opponent with nuclear capability. :)

SM

10. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Nukes first
    Conventional second

Two lists :) Does that make it easier to compile?

11. Sierra Mike

LOL...okie-dokie, be back. :)

SM

12. Ravenink

Ravenink Veteran Member

just curious, why didn't Israel make your list stevent?

13. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

'Cause I forgot they have nukes :)!

14. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Without nukes Israel has one of the best trained armies in the world although, admittedly, their capability of projecting that power is lacking. Their Air Force has to rank among the best trained and equipped.

15. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I'd swap Ukraine with Israel on that list.

16. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I'd agree with that. Frankly, I don't believe there are ten countries that can be ranked as superpowers. ShinyTop nails it dead-on when speaks of "projecting power".

Having enough military might to protect one's own borders, or perhaps even to incur into neighboring countries, is not enough, imo, to be classified as a superpower, with or without nuclear weapons.

A country must be able to project their military power into any potential theater of operations. Only then can their economic interests be protected and their political will be enforced.

To project power, a good navy and a decent, strategic air force are both required.

Even China's navy, as was most of the U.S.S.R's, is more oriented toward defense than projection of power.

Nuclear weapons sound good, in theory, but absent a true military force, they're almost useless except as a mere weapon of mass killing.

17. jamming

jamming Banned

As Superpowers, there is only one. However if you are asking about military power, are we speaking of power projected or just homebased power? Do you want to limit it to numbers and dollars or is quality an issue too?