1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Top 10 Conspiracy Theories

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 6, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

2002 was a bumper year for conspiracy theories of all political persuasions, from the Afghanistan/Big Oil connection to the unmentionable theories of one european they all seem to have the common thread of the United States as an Imperialist, realpolitik bogeyman. So, here they are in all their glory, <a href="http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=14873">the top ten.</a>

2. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

I like this one for starters :

The Flight 93 debris patterns and the ease with which the Flight 93 story that circulated in the major media fits into an archetypal "hero" narrative.

I believe to this day that flight 93 was downed by the military.

This is not to say I would not have done the same thing under similar circumstances.

3. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

I have major problems with conspiracy theories of any sort. There are usually enough questions/doubt in the stories they raise to make them impossible to either agree or refute with any degree of objective certainty. So you either agree with them or tend to dismiss them out-of-hand. If you agree, they are preaching to the choir. If you dismiss them, they are a bunch of crackpots. Fall in the middle and about all you can do is scratch your head and wonder.

I have serious doubts, not so much about Flight 93, which if it was shot down, was certainly justified. What about the Pentagon? They had to scramble a jets from Langley to go after it? Who is being brought up on charges of gross negligence? I thought that whole area was restricted air space at all times. Even in times prior to 9/11, we had nothing on stand-by? Again, who's facing charges?

The 9/11 commission report should make very interesting reading if, in fact, it does any real work.

4. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

I would expect something akin to the Warren Commision report -- washed clean and worthless. Any smell of duplicity (justified or not) right now could bring the administration to its knees.

5. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

That's a whole different conspiracy theory Mike :)

Although I have great reservations their are those who claim no plane ever hit the pentagon. Now I know this sounds nuts but some of the photographic evidence does raise more questions then it answers.

6. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

Great reservations? I hope that is just a diplomatic way of saying it is bunk. Remember that the wife of the current Solicitor General Ted Olson was on that plane and called him on her cell phone. I accept the grief of Mr. Olson as proof enough for me.

7. jamming

jamming Banned

Most of the so called evidence is hooey for Flight 93, if it was downed by a AA Missile into the Engine it would of had parts spread over a wide area when the turban flew apart. Most of the people are wondering where the airplane was in the field it was mostly underground the damn thing hit the ground at over 400MPH maybe closer to 500MPH, it probably reached a depth of 20 to 30 feet, collapsing on top of itself like a coke can driven into a forehead.

The Pentagon Conspiracy is a worse joke and I still dare anyone to tell the guys abord the USS Gettysburg that there recently transferred shipmate was killed by our own government, as the conspiracy goes. Idiots there wonder where the plane is, well there is this thing called a building and most of it is sitting on top of the plane. That plane only went at about 220MPH in to the building with no wheels at the first floor taking out all the support for the structure above it.

8. drslash

drslash It's all about the beer

That is an interesting misspelling of 'turbine'. :)

turban noun
    A traditionally Muslim headdress consisting of a long scarf of linen, cotton, or silk that is wound around a small cap or directly around the head.

9. jamming

jamming Banned

Sorry, fingers flying and when I spellchecked it back it was a word. :nut:

10. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Yes that is an accurate translation.

Pentagon conspiracy theory is easily dismissed.

Flight 93 consipracy theory is not as easy to dismiss as debris from the plane was found substantial distances from the crash site.

11. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

First of all, I am NOT a conspiracy guy at all! I just thought the X Files was a good show for the first feew seasons...that's all!

My sister lives in a small town just a few miles from where Flight 93 went down. I have spoken with quite a few people from that area, and I have spoken for hours with my sister and brother-in-law about Flight 93. I am not going to say that I KNOW what happened to that plane, but I have a very high suspicion that it was, in fact, shot down. It is perfectly justified in my mind, and I can understand how the hero story sounds better than having it shot down.

There were quite a lot of stories and eyewitness accounts which never made it to national news. And the hoopla about the debris is completely true. Parts of that plane and items from inside it were found MILES from the crash site. I just down buy that the plane could have broken apart before hitting the ground. And I don't believe that we couldn't have had jets intercept that plane well before it made its way to Washington D.C. Did any of you see anyone in the news talk about a mysterious white jet flying fast and low? My sister saw a guy talk about it on a local news station, but I never saw it on any national news. I've read about conspiracy theorists who say the military has a sohpisticated plane with both stealth and chamelian abilities. Who knows...

12. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

AlterNet.org is too modest. They should have listed themselves as number one on their "Top Ten Conspiracy Theories of 2002!"

What a rag!

Well what do you expect when you combine Mother Jones, Ruth Messinger, David Dinkins, Princeton University, the City of Santa Cruz, Wired News, Village Voice, Bitch Magazine, Ms Magazine, UC Santa Cruz, and the social justice movement to just name a few of the named influences and creative minds behind the organization!