1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Today's Hoboes?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by ethics, Apr 4, 2015.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Fantastic write up on the life among America’s new *hoboes, 2nd definition; the marginal workers drifting between seasonal jobs handling fish in Alaska, marijuana in California, sugar beet in N. Dakota, etc.

“A familiar typology is that hoboes wander to find work, tramps work only to facilitate wandering, and bums neither wander nor work. There is, perhaps, another important delineation — between those who work for a way into society and those who work for a way out”
    Call me crazy but this life to me is appealing. Maybe it's one of those grass is always greener but if I were single, I would love to do this for a few years or more. Well, maybe not the harvest or other jobs like it, but certainly more of welding, tree harvest, etc...

Sugar Days | VQR Online

2. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

That's one of the advantages of the fulltime RV life - you can easily travel to where the work is. Lots of nurses and construction guys do that. It's not just the migrant farm families.

ethics likes this.
  3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Thought about that too. Humans are fantastically adoptive creatures, aren't we?

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Well, if you stop to think about it, we started off as nomadic tribes and followed the weather/food.

ethics likes this.