1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To root or not to root

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

That is the question.

I've had my Sony M4 Aqua for a couple of months now. It's on Android 5 (who knows when Sony will release Marshmallow) and I'm not entirely sure I trust Google's backup routines to back up the device in a manner that would allow me to restore to the point to where I'm hitting the ground running in the event of a catastrophic data loss.

I've been rummaging around the Innerwebz and it seems the best backup utility for Android is Titanium. However, the application is designed more for devices that have been rooted.

So.................. The question is, is it really worth it to root the device? I've managed to remove/hide most of the stuff that I don't use, but there's still an awful lot of bloat on the phone, even if I don't see it. It's not impacting the performance of the device, and I don't see myself really pushing the limits of the phone in my normal usage of it.

The few apps I have installed would be easily replaced if necessary, but it's the pictures and user data that would be virtually impossible to replace easily. So, based on what I'm reading, would rooting the phone be a plus in the long run in order to use Titanium to its fullest potential?

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I "jailbroke" my iPhone when I had it and for years I rooted and applied ROM's for different Android phones. I finally quit a couple years ago as not worth my time. But circumstances can vary. I do have my pictures and music backed up on my computer and a network drive. The contacts and bookmarks are in Chrome or GMail so that is no problem. That leaves game data and I am not worried about that so I have my bases covered without rooting or using an app to back up. If you have other user data you may need it.

I do not mind installing apps from the playstore on new phone. It's kind of like moving makes you get rid of stuff you no longer use.