1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Titan

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by SixofNine, Apr 4, 2013.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Of course it's wise to take any reports about Titan with a grain of salt.

There's a little more in the link, but here's the meat of the article:

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Meh. As much as some would love to claim that they have an "in" at Blizzard and know all about Titan, definitely take any "leak" with a HUGE grain of salt. Those who are in the know aren't talking about Titan, and those that are claiming they know most likely couldn't find their way out of a wet paper bag. The NDAs for Titan are pretty darned tight and anyone even suspected of leaking information would be strung up from the nearest tree.

Look for an announcement at this year's Blizzcon, with a release date of sometime next year.

3. SixofNine

It sure would be nice to find a game that lets us get the band back together. :D

4. Biker

True. Titan may very well be that game. Hopefully the minimum requirements for game play won't be so high that it requires everyone to upgrade their systems.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Is this even confirmed???

6. SixofNine

Not at all, but one can dream until the announcement at Blizzcon. :)

7. Biker

That there's a project called Titan? Yes.

However, any so called leak should be taken with a HUGE grain of salt. But current rumblings indicate that Blizz is going to unveil the game at this year's Blizzcon and announce the release date.

8. SixofNine

A game that Blizzard says was playable in 2011 now might not be ready until 2016.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/blizzard-starting-over-on-next-gen-mmo-6408982

A poster in the forum where I saw this news recommended keeping an eye on two sandbox MMOs in development: Pathfinder Online and Embers of Caerus.

https://goblinworks.com/

http://www.embersofcaerus.com/content.php

9. Biker

Looks like Titan is going to go the way of Starcraft Ghost.

10. Biker

Merged.

11. ethics

Bah! Three years in gaming is an eternity.

12. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

13. SixofNine

Seven years later, Blizzard cancels Titan.

"We had created World of Warcraft, and we felt really confident that we knew how to make MMOs," [Blizzard CEO Mike} Morhaime said. "So we set out to make the most ambitious thing that you could possibly imagine. And it didn't come together.

"We didn't find the fun," Morhaime continued. "We didn't find the passion. We talked about how we put it through a reevaluation period, and actually, what we reevaluated is whether that's the game we really wanted to be making. The answer is no."

If that's the case, better to cancel, and good for them for making such a decision so far into the project.

Blizzard cancels its next-gen MMO Titan after seven years | Polygon

14. Biker

Merged. :)

I've stopped playing WoW and cancelled my sub. To me, it's getting stale and I'm not even sure I'll get the expansion when released. It's definitely lost its lustre.

Might pick up Diablo III as I've had a lot of fun with the "free" version and may reactivate my FFIV sub for a bit. But I don't see myself going back to WoW any time soon, if at all.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  15. SixofNine

Interesting summary by a player in another gaming forum:

WoW never became a bad game for me. I was just worn out, and every other MMO I tried after WoW eventually triggered the same mental fatigue.

16. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Buillshit flag on the play.

"all the issues" what issues, the ones where the neckbeard hardcore players cried that they wanted the game to be another fucking WoW with raiding until your eyes bled but the Devs realized that they need to retool and cater to the people who will actually stick around and PLAY the game past 2 months after release?

Or the 'problem' that they since developed mega server tech like EvE online and will wipe out "dead servers" in one fell swoop?

Yeah.. 'problems'.

This 'reviewer' clearly doesn't play Wildstar, or at last hasn't played in the last 2 months.

17. ethics

Well said. I would just add I am not the same person I was when I was immersed in the game. Have way too much going on (mostly good) in real life and other interests have stolen me away. My daughter still plays and I still play with her. Even have 90's and raid with her. But other than that, that feel, that ambiance, camaraderie we shared way back then... I don't think that can be replicated.

18. SixofNine

What Titan might have been.

Not sure how I would feel about the "real world" aspect of the game. I play computer games to get away from the real world, and for that reason I've never played The Sims or Second Life. However, I'm just speculating and perhaps it might have been different with the "shadow world" there.

19. Biker

I've gotten a lot of exposure to Destiny over the past week or so and while it's pretty damned slick for a game, I don't see how they're going to create a PC version. The character mechanics are going to be extremely difficult to accomplish on a keyboard/mouse combination.

It's also one of the reasons I despise the Skyrim franchise on a PC. Give me WASD movement and I STILL have to do directional control with a mouse? Nope. Not gonna happen on my end and I'll avoid any game like the plague that forces me to do so.

I had wondered where this new "garrison" feature got its start for the next WoW expansion and it looks like they may have torn a page from the Titan book. From what I understand, this new feature will be mandatory for character progression. From those I've talked to who are doing the beta testing, you either love it or hate it. I suspect I'd be in the later group. If I wanted to play Sim City, I'd get the game.

I don't do well in FPS games, and while they look like fun, the fine control needed (wither it's with a mouse or console) is difficult for me. I also have to wonder since Destiny is also Activision (and Bungie), they put the brakes on Titan as it would have had too many similarities.

20. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I second this.

I enjoyed WOW when it was an actual MMORPG, and required people to actually come together in order to achieve something in-game. The changes they made to the game catered to the "casual" player who never really got into the MMO part of the RPG. Now, it might as well be bots playing alongside you, because you never get to know the people, you certainly don't need Ventrilo or Teamspeak, and objectives are easily reached in order to cater to that casual player. Which made it very BORING for people looking for a greater challenge and more player interaction.

ethics likes this.