1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TIPS Dies a Fast, and Quiet Death

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Dec 4, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

A controversial government initiative to recruit Americans to spy on each other in an attempt to prevent terrorist attacks was quietly killed with the passage of the Homeland Security Act.

First announced by the Justice Department in January, Operation TIPS (Terrorism Information and Prevention System), was initially designed as a nationwide reporting system that would enlist one million workers ranging from postal employees to truck drivers to tattle on any "suspicious activity" by people along their routes.

The program was met with vehement opposition from privacy groups, newspaper editorialists and even conservative legislators. Some likened TIPS to an operative of the East German Stasi, the secret police that used citizen informants to spy on ordinary Germans for more than 40 years.

Wired Story Here

2. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Darn. I have a whole list of people I wanted to turn in for something. Doesn't matter what and I have no idea whether they might have done something wrong, but they have been a pain to me in one way or another so I wanted to return the favor. Be nice to see them having to deal with dickheads from the FBI for a while. And with any luck they might have been charged with something and shot or hung without a trial. Now I can't do it.

3. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

It was a bad idea no matter how you look at it and I am glad it "died". It was probably illegal; it was terrible from a precedent and social standpoint. Also, it was not practical all other issues aside. The FBI and others would have been over loaded with information. Literally swamped with tips! They could not have checked on all of the stuff and not have been able to separate the relevant from the ridiculous! In fact a smart enemy would have used the glut of information to "hide" real information within the neutral or false stuff.