1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Times Square, and the Ad Wars

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 19, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Adbusters vs. Disney.

Not sure if I agree with anyone on this, but the signs are a bit funny.

2. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

What jurisdiction does Disney have in Times Square? Do they own a piece of it or something, that they would have the balls to give Adbusters 3 choices of what they could do?

Can I call Disney and give them 3 choices on what they must do regarding tickets?

3. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

What idiots they are at Disney to try and muscle Adbusters this way. I admire Adbuster's refusal to comply and ingenuity in volunteering to *modify* the billboard.

I like this one :)

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

With the recent ruling by the supreme court on copyright extensions, Disney is going after them regarding the mouse symbol which is pretty synonomous with Disney. They'll probably win.

5. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Biker, the original flag doesn't have either a mouse nor the Disney castle on it - the spoof ads that Adbusters put on their websites as alternatives do.

If Disney sues them because of a spoof, then they won't get very far because it's protected by Amendment 1. And they can't go for copyright infringement because, as far as I can tell, I don't see anything related to Disney on the real ad.

Now, if Disney rallies the other corporations who ARE present on that flag, then it's a different story.

6. Biker

:( Shame on me for not clicking the link... Lemme go back and read. **blush**

7. Biker

Something seems out of whack here and I wonder if we're getting the whole story??? Time for some digging I guess.

8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Disney practically MADE what Time Square is today. Back with Rudy as the mayor, who wanted to clean up TS, Disney gave NYC billions in order to get a cleaner environment so they can open a few things of their own.

I see both sides in this.