1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Time to change our diets? (For men)

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Robert Harris, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Good thing I like garlic. and such.

Excerpts:

Thursday, 7 November, 2002, 13:04 GMT

Garlic repels prostate cancer

Garlic is known for its pungent odour
    Garlic and onions could help prevent men developing prostate cancer, researchers have said.

Men who ate the most vegetables had a 50% lower risk of having prostate cancer than those who ate the least, it was found.

The benefits could be due to allium, a sulphur-based compound, which is responsible for the characteristic smell.

It was found men who ate more than a third of an ounce (10 grammes) a day of onions, garlic, chives or scallions were much less likely to be in the group with cancer.

Full story at: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2415035.stm

2. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

That's wonderful news because I love garlic. I always knew it was a very healthful food, and I use it all the time in food. Let's not forget that it also repels vampires. I haven't had any runins with vampires since I started eating garlic.

I once read that garlic is, pound for pound, the most healthful vegetable on the planet. Is this true?

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Don't know if it is THE most healthful food, but it is apparently quite good.

Unfortunately, in addition to keeping aeay cancer and vampires, it also sometimes drives women away. :)
    l

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Garlic is very rich in Slavic ingredients so I grew up with having a sort of an addiction to it. I can eat garlic raw, in cloves, with black bread and Borscht.
    Garlic, outside of this study, also does wonders for parasite related illnesses and is a well known immuno-booster.

5. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

New headline: "Garlic, touted as world's best birth control..." (... at least until the women start eating it for something equally as beneficial ...) :haha: