1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on Rise of Minimum Wage

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ShinyTop, Jan 1, 2018.

1. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

"My new Congressman said he's going to turn Congress around. I hope I don't get run over again."

The Constitution was designed to keep a certain level of deadlock at all times due to the nature of competing interests between the People, the States and the federal government.

A consistent 7% growth in GDP can double our economy in 11 years. At 4% growth, it will take 19.

Reagan with his tax cuts grew the economy an average of 7.92% per year over his 8 years.
    Bush 41 had a 5.65% growth.
    Clinton with the GOP tax cuts averaged 5.83%.
    Bush 43 grew the economy 4.6%.
    Obama it only grew 3.01%
    Trump is already averaged 3.99% over 3 quarters. Once the tax cuts hit, it should be Katy bar the door and Reagan better get ready to step aside.

2. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Amazonian woman in a petite package!

Mark, tell me you haven't realized that the Constitution mandated three powers, executive, legislative and judicial haven't already broken d0wn?

3. MemphisMark

I realized they broke down a long time ago.

The 17th Amendment (direct election of Senators) eliminated the ability of the State governments to send people to the Senate to represent the interests of the State. Now, the Senate is but a second "people's house."

I also realize the Administrative Act of 1947 is an Unconstitutional law, as the Congress has no authority to delegate any of its legislative powers, and by delegating that power to the Executive branch, created the bureaucratic nightmare we have today. The laws Congress passed in 2017 would fill 1-2 encyclopedia-sized books. The regulations proposed, enacted and enforced (that have the force of laws passed by Congress) by bureaucrats in 2017 will fill 15-20 Bankers Boxes.

I consider it a serious problem when the vast majority of laws made by government are done so by people who have zero accountability to the People. The government is supposed to work for the betterment of the People. Instead, laws and regulations are made by people in the government who do not have the authority to do so like they are paid on commission by the number of regulations produced and most of them only restrict the freedom of the People.

4. Susan Addams

I think we are way past that. I think the government is being run by professional politicians, and fuck the American public. Americans have now become cash cows for a political elite.

If the party machines picks the candidates we get to vote for, no matter which way we vote we are voting for the machine. A machine. Whatever.

Voting is a farce, particularly when you consider all the sheeple who vote the party line. And they are proud party members? What is this, some stupid kind of fucking club?

Our government has been out of control for a long time, maybe even before I was born. I think having elections is just a farce intended to make we citizens feel like we have a way of affecting what is happening in America.

The thing is, Trump threw a monkey wrench in the works: a non-politician. I'm pretty sure both the DNC and RNC hate Trump. Trump is a force on his own and he doesn't march the party line. To that degree I respect him. I wanted something different and I got it.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  5. MemphisMark

DING DING DING! Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

We have had an elite ruling class running things since the 60's. Politicians are like ticks, once they get latched on to their office, they are dug out only with great effort.

Stalin is quoted as saying, "Those who cast the votes decide nothing. Those who count the votes decide everything." A party affiliation is supposed to represent a base set of ideals for the candidate running for office. This is why the national committees have sub-committees to write the "planks" for the platform of the party. Today, it is undoubtedly a "pay to play" operation.

A Congresscritter has to "donate" (pay off) the party that has the majority to get a seat on a subcommittee. The more you pay, the better subcommittee you get to be on. To be chairman of that subcommittee costs more.

Susan Addams likes this.
  6. Susan Addams

I'm flattered that you should say that Mark and I appreciate it. I have a benefit that some other members do while some don't. Starting out with my sister in RSA I branched out until I have friends in many parts of the world, places outside of the US, and I think I have a greater parallax of view what the rest of the world thinks of America.

That caused me to reexamine my own views, and that was when it dawned me that our government is out of control, and that the American voting public have not noticed they are not in control of their government in the way their delusional thinking makes them believe.

Trust me, I have a B.A. in Psychology and there is a simple statistical fact. In any group of people (e.g. American voters) exactly half will be above average intelligence, and one half will be below average intelligence.

That's scary when you think about it, that half of our voters are below average intelligence. Note too it's intuitively obvious our more stupid voters are also the least educated. To a degree it's easy to blame stupid voters. Perhaps it's not that simple; I'll have to think on the psycho-statistics of it...

7. MemphisMark

There is a big difference between intelligence and reasoning.

Intelligence is raw knowledge, irrefutable facts on any subject (like there are three branches of our government under the Constitution, Legislative, Executive and Judicial).

Reasoning is the ability to start with knowledge and reach a reasonable conclusion (e.g., the Administrative Act of 1947 is unconstitutional because the Constitution does not give the Executive branch the authority to make laws or regulations, while the Constitution also provides no process for the Legislative branch to delegate this authority).

I would prefer to avoid the term "stupid" except in certain cases, while I will define shortly.

I am pretty sure those people you consider "stupid" are merely uninformed. This means they basically don't have access to knowledge that would be of great benefit to them. People who lack access to raw knowledge generally have the ability to reason. But it's like a map without reference points. It can give directions to wherever, however if you don't know where you have to be to start following the directions, the map is useless.

An example I like to use is the Masons. After each degree and before you can go through the next degree, you have to memorize a set of responses to questions that basically describe the "morality play" that a degree is. These are not written down, you're not allowed to write them down. You have to sit with an instructor who will teach you the answers and repeat the process until you are "proficient" in reciting the answers.

There are certain words and phrases used in these answers that are not common in today's language. An example is the phrase "by due trial, strict examination or legal information." This is what you did to determine if a man unknown to you is a Mason and of what degree he is.

There are two basic types of instructors that teach these lectures. One type just teaches you the words to recite. Understanding of what you are saying is not required as long as you say all of the proper words in the proper order. The second type (I was in this camp) teaches you the meaning of the words and terms. I did that because by understanding why those particular words were used in those combinations, this reasoning why those words and phrases were used helps the student reach proficiency faster and retain it longer. Not to mention, if a Mason is ever put in the position that he has to question another to determine if he is a Mason, he better know the steps involved in performing a "due trial" or "strict examination," or what "legal information" really means.

Also, intelligence is on a bell curve, with about half the population falling within one Standard deviation of the norm (90-110). I can't support my supposition, however I hold out hope that those on the left side of the bell curve within 2SD have a higher ability to reason than those within 2SD on the right side of the curve. Why? Because in order to survive, you need to either have the knowledge you need, or you need the ability to observe and evaluate what's going on, then apply reasoning to interpolate the best way to surmount the issue.

Back to the term "stupid." If you have the necessary knowledge and the ability to reason, yet you intentionally forgo using those tools so you can systematically arrive at the common sense conclusion, than I'll call you stupid. It's like Robert Reiche saying "Social Security is not a Ponzi scheme." He knows what a Ponzi scheme is and he knows how the Social Security system operates. To anyone who has the base knowledge and can observe the mechanism in place, there can be no other conclusion. Unless, of course, you have an agenda, and to implement that agenda you have to obfuscate the facts and processes so no one can come to the proper conclusion.

8. Susan Addams

Mark, I am sorry to put you down but your post wasn't worth reading past the part I quoted. "Intelligence is raw knowledge" is pure bullshit and I doubt you know your ass from a hole in the ground. I think you should go study something before writing such dreck.

Please note that I have a B.A. degree in Psychology. (And a second in English Lit.) Intelligence and knowledge are vastly different.

Have a read on the IQ article in Wikipedia. Blow past the Stanford Binet and read up on the first explanation that refines it as IQ and divides it into Qf (fluid intelligence) and Qc (crystallized intelligence).

To simplify it, Qf is your fluid ability to process information, Qc is the sum of your knowledge, the crystallized data store that is everything you know. Either alone is useless. Used together they synergize.

For your information an intelligent person without any education is just a sad thing. Smarts will get you something but education puts the power behind it. Note that "self taught" qualifies as education and a person can be educated without ever being schooled.

You can also have educated people who are profoundly stupid. I spent an hour or so talking with my BFF Vonnie this afternoon about stupid doctors. Vonnie used to be a R.N. before she got her Ph.D. in Psych and opened her clinical psychology practice. The stories she told me from her R.N. days about arrogant doctors who did incredibly stupid things just amazed me in a sickening way.

So Mark, please smart up and quit writing such stupid posts. You have me looking for a "Dislike" button on this forum. Go at least read a few articles on intelligence at Wikipedia or other sites before you start expounding on a subject you know less than nothing about.

I can only wonder what prompted you to write the stupidest post I've seen you write since I joined this forum.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  9. MemphisMark

I apologize, I used the wrong terms. I was very tired after a long day. My point remains salient, most people who lack Qc are in the "trained monkey" stage. They do what they do under a certain set of conditions and indications because that's what they've been taught and they don't question why or how it works.

Yes, Qf without Qc is a shame and is the state of most of the people I believe you are calling stupid. They don't have the facts to operate on. They don't know and they might even know that they don't know. Teach them.

I fully agree, Qf and Qc together creates a synergistic effect. I am like you, all self-taught and I did most of it without Google. ;-)

As to "educated people who are profoundly stupid," or Qc without Qf, in the South it is described as "more degrees than a thermometer and not a lick of common sense." The polite way they tell you you're stupid is by the phrase, "Well, aren't you special?"

10. Susan Addams

Please excuse my previous reply which in retrospect seems rather rude. Actually Mark I think you're an okay guy! :)

You just got my back up over your comments about intelligence. By the way, I'm self taught in IT. I have dual B.A. degrees in Psychology and English Lit. Also, I entered my college freshman year when all my friends were doing their senior year in high school.

That quote is funny. :) More people than not have an IQ under the maximum that your common thermometer has. Half of the human population is below average intelligence. It's plain statistics. Almost half of the population has an IQ under healthy body temperature. You know, 98.6.

In American politics I wonder how many voters have an IQ below room temperature. I suspect quite a few.

ETA:

BTW ask yourself what field you'd go into with a BA in either Psych or English Lit. Both degrees are worthless without an advanced degree on top. Perhaps that explains my strange entrance into the IT world — self taught. Well one CompSci survey class in college. I'm giving thought to going back for my Psy.D. Or I might give a shot at writing fiction. When you think about it my degrees kind of synergize if I go into writing...

11. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

12. Susan Addams

Walmart stock has been kinda flat since November 15th when it took a big jump: $90 to $100. If I could see today's stats back on November 14th I would have bought knowing what I know now, but I wouldn't touch it with a stick today.* Performance has been kind of yucky the last week, nothing exciting happening today. Considering everything (the competition) I'd put Walmart in my stock category of losers. — By the way if you want anything at Sears I suggest you should buy it soon. I predict Sears as we know it today will be gone in a year, maybe sooner. Loser. Been a loser since mid last April. It makes me wonder, will Sears be a good candidate when Amazon debuts their brick and mortar stores they've been bragging? In fact that makes TOTAL sense to me! If it happens, remember Suzy predicted it! :)

I wonder what happened at Walmart on November 15th. Amazon took a similar jump late October, about 10%, and sad to say that was before I got in. Which, by the way, Suzy is outta the market: cooked. I just swept my last cash back into my checking account and I'm extremely satisfied with my portfolio (mainly Amazon and PayPal). They're keepers. Between them and my S&P 500 holdings I'm making more money than my 20 hours/week contract job. That is of course unrealized gains. Metaphorically speaking my money is on the table but I'm just sitting back sipping an umbrella cocktail, enjoying the show. :) Admittedly that was daddy's money (my graduation present) but daddy is very happy with how I'm doing in life. :)

You know of course that contract/consulting jobs are whimsical, and I've seen days where word was, "Kill all the consultants." Today if that happened I'd say send me my final check, buh bye! :)

* ETA: Actually if I could see November's stats before the jump I'd have bought on the 14th and sold on the 16th. My overall opinion of Walmart is: loser. Amazon is a keeper, PayPal is a keeper but Walmart is not.

13. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Walmart has been a strong performer for long haul investment. As with pretty much any stock, you can't just look at a small snippet and make a decision on whether it's a strong performer or not. Company expects further growth through 2018 and I expect the stock will reflect it.

14. Susan Addams

I don't comment on stocks until I've at least looked at and thought about their 5 year history. Walmart hit a peak 3 years ago and went to crap in 2015, only exceeding their previous peak the last 3 months. I have recognized that Walmart is probably the leading opponent against Amazon, having made better inroads to online selling than all the rest, but my money is on Amazon. Remember it's Amazon hitting the brick and mortar while it's Walmart hitting the 'Net. You could almost say Amazon started the 'Net when it comes to retailing. Walmart is the new kid on the block and Amazon is accelerating even as we speak. I'm already up $100/share (average purchase price) in one month of Amazon. Amazon has been showing a long term steady climb while Walmart could at best be said to be experiencing a recovery. When I look at 5 years of Wally I'm glad I went with the South American mega-giant! ;) And I put my money where my mouth is. :)

The more I think about it I think I hit on something big: Amazon taking over Sears. I was discussing retailers with a sales person at Best Buy last evening about Sears' decline and the idea has been stewing in my mind since then. I just Googled and discovered I've independently made the same speculation that many are making on the Internet. I've been wondering for several weeks exactly where Amazon's brick and mortar was coming from, that's why I've piqued to the subject. It's been like a dog chewing on a bone in my brain, wondering where the stores would come from. It's inherently obvious Amazon would not build new stores, it's been obvious they would take over some other retailer whose feet were already on the ground, but unsteady. Now that I've thought it over I'm almost certain it's Sears. I'm also almost certain that I made an extremely attractive investment in my Amazon position. I think I am going to be rolling in money if Amazon buys Sears and launches their Amazon stores there. I might even give up my day job and focus on either my Psy.D. or my novel. But make no mistake that I would sell my stock. As I said Amazon is a keeper, my anchor to my future. Like Amazon I too can move on to new endeavors.

15. MemphisMark

Only if you express the temperature in Fahrenheit. In Celsius nominal body temperature is 37 degrees, in Kelvin it's 310.15 and on the Rankine scale it's 558.27. It's all in how you measure and what starting point you use.

16. Susan Addams

Mark, I'm going to have to go postal on you. I quoted a statistic that makes it obvious I was using the obsolete Fahrenheit scale that our retarded country uses. Fortunately I have a pretty good grasp of metric units because of my chats with my sister in RSA. I feel embarrassed for America that we are the only 'tarded country in the world that hasn't gone metric, and as such I feel it my responsibility to speak in modern SI units when chatting with sis. Why make her make the conversions? We are the ones who are wrong! I'm getting pretty good in doing weight and distance units on-the-fly but temperatures seem to be illusive. I'm trying to reach the point of thinking in Celsius rather converting to Celsius and it seems to be working. I've been upset about America's antiquated measurement system ever since I realized that US is the only country that still uses a measurement system based on the length of some forgotten despot's hoof. ;)

It's funny that Canada and UK can't quite seem to make up their minds. :)

17. Allene

Allene Registered User

[ QUOTE]It's funny that Canada and UK can't quite seem to make up their minds. :)[/QUOTE]

I wondered what you meant, so went to Wiki for this: Metrication in Canada - Wikipedia
    (See Common Usage Today.) I left for the States a year before the conversion started. The weather still confuses me, but now I know that 25 is comfortable and 30+ is hot. I also know that the "100" on the speedometer is 60 mph, etc. Forget about the rest of it! I have relied on my American husband's ability to convert metric in his head.

It took me years to learn and remember American spelling. When I started using a computer at home in 1988, the spellchecker would hiccup whenever I reverted to Canadian spelling, so that helped. The Prairie provinces follow the American spelling of some words though, like labor, for example. When one of my sisters and her husband arrived in Rhode Island in the late 70s to attend grad school, she didn't know about the spelling differences. The first thing she read was the student newspaper. "What kind of school is this? They can't even spell correctly!" :)

18. Arc

Arc Full Member

Allene your experience is normal and natural for all fine people like yourself that immigrate here as adults. It takes years of living here to be turned to the dark side of the force, AKA "Americanized" or be labeled "American."

Allene likes this.
  19. MemphisMark

There are two kinds of countries on this planet. Those who use the Metric system, and those who have landed men on the Moon. ;-)

Allene likes this.
  20. Susan Addams

In US industry we have used a mishmash of both metric and antique units.

Mark! You don't understand what my sis is telling me! She tells me that she, personally, has no problem with US, but the rest of the world resents us, and part of it is that we insist in our products measuring to the old imperial system.

Look at today's auto repair industry where most mechanics require both American and metric sets of tools. That's crazy!