1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thought provoking news out of Egypt

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Copzilla, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I read in the Houston Chronicle today an <A HREF="http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/08/opinion/08FRIE.html"</A>article by Thomas L. Friedman (NY Times)</A> concerning the Arab world and perceptions. It was very thought provoking. I have to date really been unaware of a presence in the Arab world of a less radical frame of mind, even one that promotes tolerance.

This can't help but alter my views on the mainstream Arab world. Of course, I always hope we can become on the best of terms with people; this article helps to restore some of those hopes.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Let me start out by stating that Mr. Friedman is one of the most revered writers on both left and right of the ME issue. He never has, and probably never will, held back his opinion whether it was popular or not.

He dishes it out to the Jews when they deserve it, and same to the Palestinians, and other Arabs.

His book From Beirut to Jerusalem is a must for anyone who wants to understand the Arab/Israeli mentality more.

As for the issue of Egypt. Perhaps this is what Omar was stating many months ago when confronted with "Mohammed was a Terrorist" discussion? Of course, this type of news trickles down to us slowly while people like him are in the midst of it.

3. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

I have always believed, in my heart of hearts, that the majority of the <i>people</i> in the Middle East wished us no harm. I have been accused of being overly idealistic in my views.

Every country in the world has its radical fringe elements, including the United States. It is unfortunate when the actions of a few are perceived as the desire of the whole.