1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thought Experiment

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by joseftu, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

Of course the whole reason it would work is because the plane moves forward anyway so the conveyor belts would have to be just as long anyway. Nice thought though.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Ok, after 3 years, I will concede that the plane takes off.

What changed my mind? Arguing with co-workers on this, I took the Devils advocate line and realized how simple this was. Also helped that one of the guys was a jet-engine engineer that explained it to me things in real person.

Dunno, but having integrity, I am admitting I was wrong. Sorry for the debate from my end.

3. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

LMAO....3 years....take that all of you who thought he was being stubborn. ;)

4. Greg

Greg Full Member

It's good that you can accept it and admit it. There are many things in science that are counter-intuitive, and this conundrum is one of the most counter-intuitive things I've ever encountered. Many of us who are employed in scientific occupations have an unfair advantage.

5. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Holy Crap, Batman! There's no way it's been going on 3 years since we discussed this!

6. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Good on ya, dude!

7. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Now that's integrity! Better late than never! :)

(But the argument was fun, anyway. Now what we will mock you about? ;))

8. Kluge

Kluge Observing your world for over 50 years

From the old astronomy forum, there's this example of relativity calculations where you have a sausage machine filling a sausage at a speed approaching the speed of light, and you have to design a machine that will cut off links exactly the right length...

9. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Like there's a limit to my faults?