1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thought Experiment

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by joseftu, Dec 11, 2006.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Why not put this as a reply to the original post? Why duplicate a topic?
  2. ravital

ravital Banned

Er... I think I would love to find out what an erospace engineer is... or would I? ;)

Just ribbin' you.
  3. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

That matches everything I have ever thought or read about this question. There are places all over the internet that talk about this and they all get this same basic answer.
  4. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Because he couldn't stand to let a thread that I started make it to 11 pages!

(Can we at least call this one settled now, with those--including me--who were wrong initially admitting that openly? Or should we try to get this thread into double-digit pages, too? ;))
  5. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Merged. :)
  6. Sean Ryan

Sean Ryan Banned

Golly! I am a sometime vistor and mostly lurker. Just saw this topic. Over 200 posts! Man, I've got to see this says I. Read about half of the posts than got worn out! Some folks argued this issue like their life depended on it.

The plane would take off and it would take off in less time on the belt than on the regular runway. Thrust, not the wheels, moves the plane and the belt reduces friction with the wheels compared to that on the regular runway. So the plane would gain speed quicker on the belt than on the regular runway.

Very entertaining and interesting comments! While reading many of them I felt like I was watching an episode of some reality show where the winner or suvivor gets millions of dollars! :)
  7. ethics

If you were around longer you'd know the passion of most users on this forum. We are set in our ways and will argue something to death, if we believe we are right. Some relent, some don't. As long as things don't get personal, it's all good and fun. :)
  8. Greg

Greg Full Member

You already heard substantially the same answer from me, also an engineer, and from an equally prestegious institution, but evidently the opinion of somebody not a GA member holds more weight. :)

It's interesting what passion people will argue their opinions with, even in situations where they lack the crucial knowledge to have the correct answer. Kind of reminds me of politics . . .
  9. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Just to stir the pot the mythbusters tackle this one, check out the full episode from Discovery.com. I haven't watched it yet, but will provide input after I do...

10. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Ummm....I just watched the whole thing, and did I miss the conveyor belt bit, or what? :blank:
  11. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Yeah I didn't notice it either, which is rather disappointing considering the description said it would.
  12. Andy

13. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

If it worked, JFK airport would be filled with conveyor belts instead of the long runways taking up valuable real estate.
  14. ethics

Don't start Lynne! Just wait till I am vindicated in this! ;)
  15. tke711

You'll be vindicated just as soon as all known physics laws are proved to be false. :p
  16. ethics

Yah yah yah...
  17. tke711

I've got a prediction come January 31st, the day after the episode airs. No matter what Mythbusters finds out, those that believe the opposite will still not concede and will claim that Mythbusters screwed something up.

I'm not saying that people here on GA will be that way, but I just know the forums at Discovery channel will be full of those people as I can't remember the last time that a scenario like this caused such heated and passionate discussions across the entire web.
  18. ethics

Yah, well, when you have something big like that? Absolutely! And MB better do it right!
  19. Sarge

Sarge Texas Resident Alien

The plane will nose-dive off the front of the treadmill! :happy:
  20. ethics

LOL! Don't you start now!