1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[SECURITY ALERT] This WILL scare the shit out of you.

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by MemphisMark, Dec 30, 2013.

1. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old School Conservative

Okay. I've started up a supplemental IT business to bring in a little extra income at night. I'm starting to do a "How To Protect Yourself Online" series on my website and my FB page.

I then came across this. It is an hour long, and it details just how far our government has gotten into our electronic life. Chilling is too mild a word. Don't miss a second.

2. Greg

Greg Full Member

Our gummint is in every aspect of our Internet lives.

What I'd like to know is if our gummint has installed gummint malware trojans on all our computers so they can get into our every digital crick and crevasse.

3. MemphisMark

From what I understand from that video, the short answer is YES.

The speaker was talking about un revealed OS vulnerabilities, as well as exploits in BIOS and hard drive firmware. The NSA has even gone as far as intercepting computer shipments, and installing extra hardware in computers.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Every couple of years, this type of conspiracy crops up and is quickly debunked. With the amount of freelance security folks out there there'd be a lot more noise on this if it were actually true.

One only needs to toss a sniffer on the line and monitor to see if any hanky panky is going on. And guess what? Each time some crackpot comes up with the "the government installs bad things on your computers!", there is generally a resounding "get back under your rock!" from the rest of the security community.

Yes, there are proof on concept vulnerabilities which even I have posted about on GA. The majority of those are just that. Proof of concept vulnerabilities which have yet to be exploited in the wild.

And if one wants to stay truly informed and secure, stop getting your information from YouTube. :p

damonlab likes this.
  5. Greg

Greg Full Member

It has been a long time since I ran a sniffer but I think it might be a good idea to do it again. I was developing Internet server firmware (for a brick sized Internet server) and I used Etherial to watch my server interactions. (The software has evolved and has a new name now.)

Considering the proliferation of conspiring tattle-tale smart TVs it might be a good idea to base an Internet forum upon snooping on the snoopers..

damonlab likes this.
  6. MemphisMark

Biker,

Back in the 80's, I was involved in some things that I still can't talk about. Let's just say, things like the "8 mile Wi-Fi sniffer" are a remote descendent of what I was doing.

It is the function of government to control the people. How much control the government has is supposed to be up to the People, but after years of manipulation, most of the People are happy to let government do whatever they want to do. They either don't care or don't understand the ramifications of their lack of knowledge and action will lead to. And with the amoral philosopher-kings we have presently in power, that will lead to nothing good.

"Proof of concept" means there is a prototype. If there is a prototype, production models will soon follow.

7. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member