1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is too cool

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Biker, Jan 25, 2003.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

<a href="http://www.wherifywireless.com/corp_home.htm" target="blank">Wherify</a> is a new GPS tracker, cell phone, watch that you can get for your kids. Not yet on the market, you can apparently sign up to purchase one as soon as they become available. Looking at the demo and uses for this thing, I suspect all three of my kids will have one when they come out. As my oldest would say.. WAY COOL!

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I suspect they might need to come up with some less garish colors eventually. But would have loved them for my children. Now how to slip it into wife's purse or trunk of her car. Muhahahaha

3. Biker

Purse or trunk? The beauty of this thing is once you put it on the individual, it STAYS on until you personally unlock it.

4. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Is something this complex something to buy as soon as it hits the market? That strikes me as like putting a lot of money down for an early beta of some complicated new software.

5. Biker

Complicated? It's all tried, true and tested. Think about it. We've been using GPS technology for years. Push button dialing for 911? Very easy to program into the cell phone. And it's also a pager. None of these items are "new". However, it is the first time someone has hit on the idea of combining all this into one package where it can help you with your kids.

6. Robert Harris

I think combining them all in a very small package qualifies as something new, though.

7. Biker

Naw... Not really. Look at your PC.. You have more computing power sitting in that little box than those early systems that took up a huge room.

All they've done is taken the functionality of the various things and combined them into one package. The idea is simple and brilliant. Surprised it hasn't come out before this.

8. Robert Harris

I guess I am just technologically nervous, and I believe that if anything can go wrong with something new it probably will. :)

Looking at my PC experience does not give me a lot of comfort. First one I bought died shortly after I got it and had to have the mobo replaced (as well as the floppy drive that stopped). When I installed a new HD a couple of years later, the disk started to fail within a week and I had to replace that. Most recent PC I acquired had to have mobo replaced after a week or two, too -- just died completely.

So, as attractive as these new wonder toys sound, I will wait for you to acquire one and use it for a while, and report on reliability. :)

9. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

If the bracelet is too garish for your daughter or wife, you could always get the techno bra

or... a more stylish bracelet would be the Digital Angel

BDD... :{)

10. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

This particular application of GPS technology is likely a viable tool if used properly and the wearer is receptive to such digital tracking.

I think very young children would have no problems with it. However I suspect teenagers will not be as enthusiastic about being tracked so readily.

The lock sounds like a great feature but I would be wary of this feature for a couple of reasons:

First, should the band of this instrument get caught in any type of machinery I would suspect it will not break away from the wearer's wrist and could potentially cause serious injury. It may sound far-fetched but stranger things have happened.

Second...should God forbid a child be abducted and this device is noticed by the kidnapper I don't like the thought of what he/she may do to remove the device or render it *inoperable*.

I also suspect teenagers will be the first group to find a way to block the signal if they so desired. Doing so would render them invisible and likely work their parents into a frenzy of worry.

GPS technology will in time be used on a much larger scale than any of us will likely be comfortable with in my opinion. The number of applications that this technology can be designed for is unlimited. I would agree that safeguarding our children is likely a good application of it, but still in all it kind of gives me the willies.

I just fear it opens the door for much broader applications of the technology that could infringe on people's privacy rights.

11. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I think it's great...

There's going to have to be some restraint in its use, as in something that kids wear in order to prevent abduction, and not for a hundred other dubious purposes, but I can't wait until the first turd is tracked and busted after abducting a young child with one of these.

As for what the turd would do if he saw it? Most likely let the kid off on the next block... unharmed. After all, he would have to dispose of it, and finding a location to remove it, taking the time to remove it and then dispose of it would be a little problem. Easier to just drop the whole kid off.

12. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Don't get me wrong, using such a device to reduce the chances of child abductions, locate a lost child, etc. is a very good thing.

This particular device (although the size of a wristwatch) is still cumbersome considering. In the not so distant future chips the size of match-heads will likely be capable of transmitting GPS data in similar fashion.

When that happens I will really begin to worry about the potenital abuse and privacy factors.

13. Sacchiridites

Sacchiridites Banned

Radio Frequency Identification has been used for a long time.
    It was just hitting the global retail environment en masse (not shipping or warehouse) as I was leaving that industry.

They already use it on your credit cards and vehicles at gasoline pumps in certain places in the world, to reduce the need for manual transactions. I don't really know if this is as convenient as it seems. I want control of WHO knows where I am and what I'm up to... especially when it comes to my money and my choice of color of underwear. I don't need a credit card to help me match my wardrobe, either.

From what I can see of those products mentioned, they're pretty cool considering they have a few other features. I've often wondered if that company I used to work for really used that little RFID chip in my badge for JUST access to the offices and buildings. Paranoia abounds, and for good reason.

I'm certainly not getting one for my teenager unless she's under house arrest. I love communicating with my teen. I don't want to shirk my responsibility of establishing a relationship of trust and communication. Teaching her about safety is what I try to do. I may be old-fashioned, though.

Peace,
    Sacchiridites
    Cie

14. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Oh wow, they actually got it out on the market! I have a friend who was working on this as his internship for his computer engineering degree. But they had big old clunky things that could easily be taken off by a kidnapper.

That's a great thing to have on your child. Especially when traveling or out in the malls.

15. Robert Harris

And wonderful for knowing where that pimply faced lout that your teen aged daughter insists on dating takes her when she says they are going to a movie.

16. Paladin

Paladin Have Gun -- Will Travel

Like Biker says, this is old technology -- only the packaging is new. I have basically the same thing bolted to my Company Van -- they can track where I'm at with reports for starting or stopping the engine and exceding 65 mph. This is smaller and without the event triggered sends but that is just a minor tech difference.