1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This is Hard to Swallow

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ShinyTop, Dec 18, 2002.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

This article tells about the judge in the trial regarding the possession of the 73rd home run ball has determined that it must be sold.

Now I am not a lawyer so I am hindered by only operating on logic. But if the man who caught the ball has any claim it would appear to me it should be the only claim. To find otherwise is to say as long as you can take something from somebody you can share in its reward. The fight for the ball after it was caught was shameful. I understand that all may not have been aware it was caught but if the catcher proved it enough to get part of the ball it all should have been his. I do not like the message this sends.l

2. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Shiny,

I would be lying if I said I could come up with a fair ruling on that one. If in fact the ball was caught and a group of fans "knocked it" out of the rightful owner's glove, I would return it to the rightful owner.

If the ball was "gloved" and "fumbled" with someone else legitimately retrieving it, that would be another thing.

This makes me worry if a child catches the ball, does the crowd now have a "opportunity" to steal the ball out of the child's glove providing it is done in the 6/10's of a second? What is this like the fifteen second rule for food when it hits the floor?

Tough call, no matter how you cut it.

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

This is a foolish enough issue so that it should have been posted in the sports section, where silly trivia are routinely discussed. And it certainly did not belong in court, wasting time and money on something no rational person would give a damn about. :)

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

If I had a million dollar ball I would be upset when it was taken away.

5. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

If I had a million dollars I'd have a ball :)

6. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Did he have possession and control of the ball and both feet down?

Was he juggling the ball during the six tenths of a second the ball was in his glove?

Did he muff it or fumble it?

If he had not been pushed or mugged would he have come down with both feet and possession?

Can the bleacher stands cause a fumble?

Was he down by contact before the ball came loose?

Once the ball became loose did the same rules apply as those at the bottom of a NFL pile fighting for the ball. (Translation: Bring a weapon.)

In all seriousness the judge made the right call and just as importantly the right reason for making the call.

A judge and life are the same in that they are never completely fair. It is just a question of what is the most fair or best decision.

7. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I vote that in any case where the ownership of a caught ball is in question, the ball goes to the person who hit it on the field, to whom it would probably have more personal value than anything...

8. IamZed

IamZed ...

Baseballs generally are, Shiney.

9. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

You know, I would be extremely pissed off if I caught the ball and someone knocked me out for it, stealing it.

10. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I think baseball is as boring to watch as golf, but I would LOVE to be the owner of that baseball. There is nothing irrational about a large sum of money. ;)