1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of using that older Windows version on the new generation CPUs?

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Guess what? Ain't gonna work.

Microsoft says new processors will only work with Windows 10

So, while it may work, if you run into issues Microsoft is telling you to go pound sand if you call them for support.

MS is pulling out all the stops in an attempt to get users to switch to Windows 10. From a developer's stand point, it makes sense. However, I don't feel they should be pushing that hard until after the EOL dates have hit for Windows 7 and 8.1. As long as they're still supporting older versions of the OS, they should be supporting the newer hardware along with it.

Any bets there's another round of lawsuits coming their way if this policy turns out to be written in stone?

ethics likes this.
  2. Biker

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I just bought my first new desktop for maybe 5 or 6 years. I got it with Win7. For the $50 extra I paid I figured I would at least know my way around in it and not have apps instead of programs. Plus I can still upgrade to 10 for free when I choose. As of two weeks ago HP still offered Win7 on their high end Envy machines.

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Just checked HP's site. They no longer offer 6th generation cores with Win 7. I got a 4th gen, 5820K. It had higher Passmark scores than the 6th gen chips. I also got a 512 gig SSD for the primary drive. Wicked fast!

SixofNine likes this.
  5. Arc

Arc Full Member

Every OS has its strengths and weaknesses. Each person is different and has different needs and taste or priorities to what OS they use or like. Whichever one that fits those needs is the best OS.

For me Windows 10 will close the Windows OS loop. I started personal computers with 3.1 and really jumped into it with Windows 95. By 2000 I was considered a bonafide quality tier 1 tech support guy. Then in about 2005 I got access to a Mac. I continued to use the Windows machine though. I would every now and then go to the Mac. The learning curve for the Mac slowly developed. Eventually OS X became my primary OS. I now used it a three or four years for everything except for rare occasions when I need Windows. Currently I'm running Windows 7.

This week I will be upgrading Windows 7 to 10. It will be my last Windows OS. I'm so sure of that I'm not even doing a clean install but will do an upgrade. The main reason I'm upgrading is to a certain extent to keep somewhat informed and because of the naturally old age decline of my mind in all ways including memory and patience the valid OS X theme of, "It just works" takes on an even greater importance for me.

The hardest part about Windows 10 won't be learning how to use it but rather how to install and set it up properly to avoid all the problems such as privacy and so on that I hear about as I've been listening from the bleachers.

6. Biker

Read the stickies. We've already covered a lot of the privacy stuff. :D

7. Arc

Arc Full Member

Installed Windows 10. Did a clean install as I had a cranky DVD when it came to booting--long story.

Keep in mind I never moved passed Windows 7 and I pretty much stopped using it years ago. So I'm jumping straight into 10. First impressions, (Aside from what were they thinking?), was here is proof positive from the geek kids in Redmond that the more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.

8. Biker