1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking About Console Gamin

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by ShinyTop, May 28, 2015.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Have not had a gaming console since Nintendo's way back. What are the main consoles available and what are the strengths of each? How expensive are the games? Not much interested in multiplayer games so what are some good stand alone games?
  2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Generally, Sony has come out on top in the reviews of gaming consoles. The problem with the newest generation (Sony PS4, Microsoft XBox One, etc.) is they are not backwards compatible with the existing games out there. So if you go with the latest and greatest, you'll be stuck with the games that are designed specifically for that console. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does limit your choices, especially if there's an older game out there you'd like to try.

Now, if you have a long memory, you'll remember that Sony had that horrid break in to their system a few years back. Not to mention, they've also installed rootkits on people's computers thinking they had the right to do so to prevent unauthorized copying of their titles.

Sony PSN | Global Affairs

And the really BAD thing about that breach is they KNEW there were issues long before the shit hit the fan.

So, all things aside, both Microsoft and Sony have some pretty decent systems for console gaming. A lot of times, it comes down to price. Wally World has the XBox one starting at $350. The PS4 is about 50 bucks more.

Now, although there's a console (XBox) in the house, I've never used it. So I can't really recommend any games. The two times I've attempted to use a console controller, it did nothing more than cement the fact that I really suck at it. :lolaway-5:
  3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Anybody have experience with Steam for the PC?
  4. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Yes - highly recommended. At its core Steam is a digital distribution platform, with installation and automatic updating of games on multiple computers -- very convenient.

I don't know if this is your cup of tea, Shiny, but the PC gamers are ga-ga over Witcher 3, and there are console versions:

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt | Xbox

The Witcher series is based on short stories and novels. Game cognoscenti recommend familiarizing yourself with the story, which you can do with the very first book of short stories, The Last Wish.
  5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

If I recall, GOG has a special going on for earlier copies of Witcher as well. GOG.com