1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things to do in this life: learn guitar

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Sep 14, 2007.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

All I will say is that either my fingers are ginormous or the guitar I got has a very tiny neck. The D and the G is almost dull because if I do this (about 44 secs in to it), I am fucked.

On top of it, my fingers are hurting and are raw as hell.
  2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

callouses will happen ;)
  3. ethics

I'd wish they would hurry up.
  4. Morg

Morg The ultra-moderate

You should have started with a classic neck.
  5. ethics

I have no idea--well now I do -- what the difference was
  6. Morg

Morg The ultra-moderate

...you could run your fingers through a pencil sharpener.
  7. Domh

Domh Full Member

Well, that IS one good reason to start with a steel string acoustic.

Those larger gauge strings will beat your fingers in to submission pretty quickly.

I have little feeling left at the very tip of my left middle finger...

...not from playing but because it is in the air so often.
  8. Greg

Greg Full Member

Just a general comment, I was referring to what Domh calls a "classical guitar," most of the strings are "cat gut" (probably plastic in modern times) and maybe a few bass strings are gut, wound with wire. The neck can be almost twice as wide as a cutting edge electric guitar, good for fat fingers.

Leon, your fingers get "thinner" as you learn, or the neck gets "wider." What I mean is that you get used to that. It's part of learning, as are the calluses. That's part of the reason you play all those scales, besides the reason of programming your nerves and muscles.

You gotta pay the dues if you wanna play the blues. No truer words ever spoken.
  9. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

10. ethics

Awesome, thanks!
  11. Domh

Domh Full Member

Dude, you been at this for awhile.

What songs are you playing?

12. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Angry Commuters Attack Guitar-Playing Passenger

November 16, 2009
    Stamford, CT -- Mondays are tougher for some commuters than others. Some on the northbound train from Grand Central Terminal to Stamford decided to make their trips a little less stressful.

At least five men and women attacked a guitar-playing fellow passenger, who, according to accounts from regular commuters on the train, has been trying to teach himself how to play the guitar during his morning and evening reverse commutes.

A commuter who did not participate in the attack complained "He plays Horse With No Name over and over again, on both the morning and evening commutes. The entire (expletive deleted) song is played in the second fret, and after two months of commuting he was still screwing it up. My friggin' grandmother could play E-minor in the second fret, and she's dead."

As to why this particular morning was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back, another commuter offered her theory: "He started to sing along."

The victim, Leon Keylin of Brooklyn, had no comment.
    1 person likes this.
  13. Domh

Domh Full Member

14. Greg

Greg Full Member

LMAO @ 6o9 :)
  15. ethics

None, too busy. I don't get home till late and doing things with the kid on weekends. I don't see it getting any easier with a soon-to-be-new job either.
  16. ethics

Just an update. While Fretlight was ok for novice, the neck was a killer (too narrow) and my hands are not exactly huge. It was a labor trying to use it, less learn on it.

I did come away with a few things though (mostly Latin guitar beginners stuff) and looking to expand on that. Thus, I've bought a Martin SWDGT. Can't wait till I get it. :)
  17. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Reading the reviews over at Harmony Central sounds like you got a nice one.

Hardest thing for me is making practice time. By the time I get around to thinking about it, it's bedtime for the kids. I'm about ready to sit out on the back porch for half an hour in the dark and strum.
  18. ethics

It should last me. :)

If you read through the thread that was my biggest issue. What it comes down to is finding time. That means sacrificing something else. For me it was some play time, some TV, some gaming.

Go for it. :)
  19. ethics

Little reference point for ya, Bob, sure it's piano, but it means one and the same.

Read the entire piece. http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20100607/cm_csm/304673
  20. Domh

Domh Full Member

Glad to see you bought a Martin, that one specifically, and that you are reading harmony-central. That is THE place for reliable gear reviews.

Let me know how it goes with the acoustic. They require more hand strength to fret for sure, but that may just work for you.