1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Things that are "broken"

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ethics, Oct 18, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I don't follow. :(

2. Fiona

Fiona Veteran Member

okay what's going on here... in order to test what (VI?) said..... I posted the smileys, mad,ranting and verymad
    they came up as verymad ranting verymad

now when i look they are mad ranting mad..... do they time out?

tries again mad :mad: ranting :rant: very mad :vmad:

3. Fiona

Fiona Veteran Member

okay now they are working......... wankstain!

4. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Like they say, read the instructions! Thanks.

5. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Ethics... in one of the stickies marked hints for the forum....the 3rd button doesn't mark just the messages in the forum as read, it marks everything in the forum as read. Unless I misunderstood what you wrote there... :huh:

6. ethics

Correct. I need to look what I wrote there but I meant marking forum read.

7. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

I just got my first PM since the move. I got an email notification but no pop-up on the site. I DO have pop-ups enabled for this site in my Google tool bar and no other pop-up blocker is running. I got the confirm receipt pop-up so I know javascript is OK. And in my options, I have Yes ticked for Pop-up notification.

However, I have had the forum up in the same browser window for several hours, hitting refresh occasionally to see the newest posts. I had this same problem on the old server too ... some PMs I would get a pop-up, and others I wouldn't.

8. LissaKay

OK ... is it just me, or did my last post not totally post? I wonder what this one will do?

If I highlight where the text should be, it appears! I posted that by coming directly into the thread, then clicking the New Reply button at the very top. I added no formating at all to the post ... just typed it in.

Very weird ... let's see if this one shows up.

9. LissaKay

Leon ... quit messing with my head, dammit!

10. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Now that's impressive, digital disappearing ink. I must have a couple of hundred emails I wish I could have used that for. rofl :lol:

11. ethics

You replied to one of mine which had the white font. That's all that your post above was.

As for pop-ups. They work fine for me and no one in vbulletin community has complained. The fact that it has not worked on two --almost--different software codes tells me it might be ZAP or some other security feature that's enabled.

12. LissaKay

Heh ... he fixed it somehow. Trying to make me look like a fool, I betcha! Just cause I am finding all these buggies in his precious forum! :p

I dunno what's up with the pop-up ... I get some of them for PMs, but not all. I do get the ones for the confirm receipt, and when I boo-boo'd and didn't put a subject in the PM I sent.

I don't have ZAP ... I use Kerio which is just a plain old firewall, no fancy ad blockers. I use Google tool bar to block pop-ups, and I have them enabled for this site, but that should affect the javascript pop-up notification in any case, only IE window pop-ups.

I think it is because I keep the forum up in the same browser window for so long, refreshing for new posts whenever I come back here.

13. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

Leon........how come it takes so long for the page to load when I click on a thread? The old server worked just fine......page loaded immediately. Now it take a few seconds.........just wondering. :)

14. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

Rig the quick reply to be always activated, so I don't have to waste time finding the icon to activate quick reply in the first place.

15. Pyrion

Oh, one other thing I'm beginning to miss that was in the old forum was the capability to load sub-forums by simply clicking within the same table cell that the sub-forum's title was in. Especially since the damn thing spans half my screen and the text is so small. ;)

Also, :D doesn't work as a smiley. What gives?

16. Pyrion

*blinks*

The "wink" smiley is no damn wink.

[​IMG] is a wink. [​IMG] is most certainly not a wink.

17. Pyrion

Found another bug. Anytime you manually source an image from this site it works the first time, but if you go back and edit the post the script snips out the preceding "http://www.globalaffairs.org/forum" portion of the address.

So all you get is [​IMG] for example.

I'm not sure if it does this with other images.

18. ethics

That could definitely be it. It happens to me from time to time.

19. ethics

Works like a charm for me. If you are using threaded/hybrid view it takes a few seconds to build the thread tree, but nothing noticeable to me.

20. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

There does seem to be a speed issue. From the OC3 at work, it does take a lot longer than the older version. I suspect with the added bells and whistles, things take a bit longer than usual. Here at the house EVERYTHING is painfully slow.