1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There's biodiversity even in the cities

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Swamp Fox, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

2. mikeky

mikeky Member

And of course where there is a diverse enviroment, it must be preserved, and since humans cannot co-exist with a diverse environment, please evacuate all cities immediately.

As an aside, doesn't that wetland look like a very nice breeding ground for West Nile-laden mosquitoes? Sometimes maybe diversity is not such a good thing.

3. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I hope they study New York city sewer rats. OMG. As big as frick'n raccoons! That can't be good.

4. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

A fascinating read Stanley, and a fascinating topic. It's amazing how easy it is to miss what is right under our noses.

Having lived in Boston for 8 years now, which is a pretty clean city as far as big cities go, I'm still always amazed at the diversity of wildlife and plantlife within the city.

I find it particularly encouranging that environmental scientists are starting to take a serious look at these urban ecosystems. It seems a much more logical way to gather useful data, that is relevent to our future and our environment's well being, than only studying the more virgin landscape.

5. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Stanley, we got biodiversity you wouldn't believe here . You should see some of the animals walking the streets.

And Misu, our sewer rats wouldn't stand a chance against the vile wild things that wander around Florida. (Including the fat old men wearing ugly clothes.)

6. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

I've seen downy woodpeckers, raccoons, cardinals, peregrine falcons, snowy owls, red-tailed hawks, praying mantises, salamanders, toads, garter snakes, red-winged blackbirds (not to mention mice, rats, roaches) right here in Brooklyn!
    The idea of "nature" as a pure, isolated eden is a modern construction, an ideology which is more a reaction to a perceived evil in human nature than anything realistic.

7. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

They can exist if we leave them the space and the food to keep on existing. If we take that away we'll have to live without them.

8. jamming

jamming Banned

You realize that a great number of those fat old men are displaced New Yorkers that apparently migrate South during the Winter. Shiney and I are still working on getting the Florida Legislature to authorize an open season on those or at least the dreaded "White-legged sandal wearing Canadian" variety of the fat old men.:angel:

9. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Amen, Brother!