1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There IS no privacy on the internet...

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Apr 3, 2018.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

And corporations like Panera Bread just don't give a shit if you care or not...

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

3. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

I totally agree with you Leon. The idea that there is privacy on the Internet is ridiculous to those of us in the know. Everybody is tracking you: corporations, the government, probably foreign governments too.

Just yesterday one of my friends wanted me to track down somebody who talked her into sending him some money. (Yes, I can't believe she could be that stupid. I get the idea it's a couple hundred bucks. She just wants to know if he is for real. Jeez she can sure be a tard. I already gave her the answer for that one. She still wants to know his true location.) Her case has all the earmarks of the traditional African scam.

I'm going to do a little searching first, and then I'll send him an HTML email with a web bug in it. Most people are susceptible to this form of privacy attack since many use cells and most cells render HTML including external images. The web bug I use is a 1x1 transparent GIF. I give it a unique name and stick it in the email, send it. When the recipient opens it the access to the bug appears in my logs, along with the IP address. Gotcha! I just bet the person is in Africa or the equivalent.

Privacy on the Internet is a joke even for technical people who know what they are doing. I try to avoid being tracked but I'm certain my evasion techniques are nowhere near perfect.