1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There he goes again...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Robert Harris, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

The president says his tax cut package will help small businesses. Great, since we have some small business people here.

First the story as put out by Bush -- and then some facts.

Excerpt:

Bush Promises Aid to Small Businesses
    By REUTERS

Filed at 12:59 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Bush said on Satu relying on deceptive use of averday that his $674 billion plan to boost the U.S. economy would benefit the nation's small businesses, which create millions of jobs each year.

"To help small business, government should not try to manage the economy from Washington. Government's role is to create an environment in which employers succeed and hire new people,'' Bush said in his weekly radio address.

More: http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/politics/politics-economy-bush.html

Sounds pretty good...except it seems that the plan does much less for small biz folks than Bush claims. Here is an announcement offering some analyssis prepared by objective organizations.

Excerpt:.

CENTER ON BUDGET AND POLICY PRIORITIES UPDATE
    Friday, January 17, 2003
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

.... President Bush said his new tax-cut plan would greatly benefit small businesses because 23 million small business owners would receive tax cuts averaging $2,042.

A Center analysis, posted to <http://www.cbpp.org/1-18-03tax.pdf>, finds the President's statement was misleading...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IN addition to the full study at teh URL above, they have a brief fact sheet that you can download right here:

2. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

How does a tax cut of around 2 grand help small business?

3. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

It helps the proprieters, who may be having a tough time because their business has slowed down during the recession.

But they will not get that much, of course.

4. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

That's bullshit..................

I'm a small business owner and here is the spin on that statement.

Bill Gates pays $100.00 in taxes a year.

900 Americans pay $10.00 in taxes a year.

$9100.00 divided by 901 is $10.00 in taxes that each one pays on average.

So if I'm gonna get a windfall of $2,042.00 in taxes a year on average............

What is Bill gates gonna get? on average?

<small>answer</small>......................................RICH

<small> Oh, wait a minute......did I say rich? he's already rich. Hmmm how about filthy rich?......no,.....that dosn't work either.................a conundrum.</small>

and by the way I'm really counting on that $2,042.00 that I'm gonna save on average.
    "the checks in the mail"......
    "I'll only put it in a little bit"......
    "Of course I love you"......
    "trust me"..........

5. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Rowd, Bill Gates doesn't own a small business - he's the CEO (I think?) of a Large Corporation. Corporations are considered entities, like people. A corporation wouldn't get benefits designed for small business.

6. pupowski

pupowski Banned

Many "small businesses" wouldn't notice $2000 one way or another,as sales and expenses are in the millions.Hell, we spent $20,000 on office stationary last year. Bush is a liar, and his tax cut proposals are just example of his fundamental dishonesty. Neither was designed for much of anything beyond pandering to his core contributors. Bush is a pampered blue-blood who failed in business repeatedly, even with his families superb connections. Our business doesn't want his ruinous tax cuts,, incompetent stewardship, and inherent dishonesty.

Profit is not our only purpose for existence, but if it was, he would be equally un-palatable. The dollar has fallen 25% over the past year, and energy prices have risen at nearly twice that rate. Our economy is sputtering badly, and recession is a distinct possibility. Our institutional clients have eliminated thousands of jobs this year, and slashed budgets ruthlessly . We've seen harsh markets and political environments before, and adapted accordingly for the past 100 years. But there is no precedent for the recklessly dangerous policies of this administration, which I believe to be the worst in US history.

Business has restrained spending over the geo-political instability that the president has caused with his incessant sabre rattling, resistance to meaningful corporate governance reforms, and bullying of our trade partners. Harvey Pitt is still at the SEC and Enron's Ken Lay and Jeff Skilling have not been prosecuted. I doubt they will be , as Bush gave Ken Lay a glowing testimonial at an affair just a few days ago.
    http://www.bushwatch.net/nancy.htm

A steady hand in the oval office would do more for the economy than any tax-cut we can afford.

7. mikeky

mikeky Member

I've never prescribed to the concept that if I don't get mine then I don't want anyone else to have a tax break either. It's not likely that the Bush tax cuts will have any effect on my small business. But that doesn't mean I can't appreciate how it can benefit others, even if they are at the top of the income bracket. The increase in Section 179 deduction could be particularly attractive to some small businesses needing to upgrade equipment.

8. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

After the whole Antitrust issue, Gates stepped down as CEO. He's now Chairman and Chief Software Architect.