1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

There he goes again...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Robert Harris, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

This seems to be a familiar refrain. Next he throws them out, I believe.

Excerpt:

Monday, 6 January, 2003, 10:02 GMT

Saddam accuses UN inspectors of spying

Iraqi President Saddam Hussein has said United Nations weapons inspectors are carrying out "pure intelligence work".

He denounced the work of the teams sent to monitor Iraq's compliance with demands to disarm, saying they were exceeding their mandate.

More:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2630711.stm

2. jamming

jamming Banned

Well he has to start throwing up some disinformation if the Inspectors get close and he has to send them packing.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Same old song, eh Robert?

4. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Surprise, surprise, surprise, .....

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I don't know, I still don't think it's a performance worthy of an Academy Award.

SM

6. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Since it is so obvious that the best thing he could have done for his cause was to let them keep looking I have to believe they got real close to something for him to be doing this crap again.

Will he step down in favor of somebody else to save his country while pulling strings from the background? This story could have some surprises yet. I doubt ol' GW would buy it, but Saddam does not have many cards to play and GW is holding a straight flush.

7. Twingo

Twingo Registered User

Well Saddam's only shot really is to pull a Mullah Omar and dissapear and hide for the rest of his life. Only problem is I don't think he will and he's going to cost allot of people their lives. Not really sure why, but he can't be quite right in the head if he's willing to do this.

My theory goes as this as far as inspections. We probably have pinpointed a few places for the inspectors to go just at the moment we want to call out Saddam. When its time for the 'smoking gun' we'll send the inspectors and start the war. If Saddam throws out the inspectors again, well then he's making it easy on us. Whichever way is fine with us.

8. martissimo

martissimo Veteran Member

I can't see Saddam tossing the inspectors out at this point, so far he is making out pretty well in the worldwide media (especially outside the US and UK), the UN today announced that there has been nothing suspicious found so far in their inspections.

I see his statements as nothing more than just playing the game he always has, he is starting to feel his poker hand is looking pretty good and is just playing one more card in the court of public opinion (maybe hoping to stop the questioning of scientists who could likely cause his downfall if one were willing to sacrifice their life to do so)

It seems fairly straightforward, the inspectors are getting more aggressive having found nothing (yet knowing something is there) and Saddam wants the inpsectors to back off so he can make it to the deadline of the UN report with it ending favorably.

It's truly the same game old game, but it's nowhere near the point that he throws out the inspectors and just acknowledges that war is inevitable (yet)

9. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Saadam must have a contingency plan on what to do if it comes to war. He may be a dictator but he is not stupid. It all comes down to how far the military and people will support him. If it gets down to protracted street fighting or use of WMDs against our forces or Israel then things could go in directions no one may have completely foreseen.