1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The world of Witcher 3

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by ethics, Aug 21, 2016.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I've mentioned this game already and if there was a reason to buy a console, this game is it. I've played many, different types, for many years, and this was is just unbelievably rich.

The Story Behind The Story Of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Any mention of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is quickly followed by mention of its scale – be that in terms of its story or its world. Wild Hunt’s script is roughly 450,000 words long. Its literature (books, bestiary, etc.) add another 250,000 words. Combining all of the different world states, the game has 36 different endings. Both its main story arc and side quests provide about 50 hours of content each – if you’re rushing – though it’s easy to spend upwards of 200 hours with the game. Wild Hunt’s two expansions, Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine, add another combined 50 hours of content.
    Emphasis mine. There are also love lines pending on how and whom you romance. Sexual content as well so makes sure there kids are... Well not kids.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Should one start off with the original before diving into 3? Or are they playable as separate entities with no issues in following the story lines?

3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Certain mechanics change between Witcher, Witcher 2, and Witcher 3. I think Witcher 2 had different fight mechanics.

But apparently they designed Witcher 3 so that you won't be lost with respect to the lore.

I highly recommend the books whether or not you play the game:
    The Witcher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's a cool youtube series on the lore:

4. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Narrator of that.... Arcaan's voice from SWTOR/KotFE, and for old school TV drama... Luther Mahoney from Homicide Life on the Street.

5. ethics

I didn't but there are so many dialogues that refer to the past. PS4 doesn't have the older games but if you can play them, JUST FOR THE LORE, I feel it's well worth it. Or as Brian said, read the books. I am telling you, folks, it's fantastic game. With all the hoopla and focus on big hitters like GTA games, CoD, etc... this is the best. By far for me.

I spent all my hour playing the game, messed it up (I ignored one of the gems in the game, the card game Gwent (think hearthstone in WoW but better :)) so replayed it, got the two add-ons. There's a GoY coming out soon, so maybe worth snagging that instead since it will have all the add-ons.

6. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

7. SixofNine

I first bought Witcher on the PC and played it for a short while (real life intruded). I bought the Enhanced Edition for Mac on a Steam sale for about five bucks and just restarted. The mechanics (switching between strong and fast modes, using the Shift key to use the cursor, etc.) take a little practice, but nothing that a non-noob can't handle.

My Macbook Pro is handling it pretty well, thought not, of course, at high settings. :)

8. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

The more I think about it, the more I think I may invest in a console towards the end of this year. Should be back on my feet by then and there should be some juicy Christmas sales.

9. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

10. ethics

11. SixofNine

It probably helps that The Witcher series has some excellent source material to work with in terms of lore, but that doesn't invalidate the point about Bethesda and BioWare needing to step up their game.