1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The VA Scandal

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Copzilla, May 29, 2014.

1. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I'm hearing now they're thinking the dead veterans are in the hundreds, not 40 like originally touted.

But I want to point out something. Liberals not so very long ago touted the VA system as a wonder of government success. Liberals like... Oh, I don't know... Krugman, the one so many other liberals hold in high esteem over just about everything.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=F20717FC3A5B0C748EDDA80894DE404482

And farsighted thinkers are already suggesting that the Veterans Health Administration, not President Bush's unrealistic vision of a system in which people go ''comparative shopping'' for medical care the way they do when buying tile (his example, not mine), represents the true future of American health care.

Hey Krugman... I'll wager just about anything all those dead veterans wish that they could have gone comparison shopping for medical care.

Last edited: May 29, 2014
  2. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Anyone who thinks the new govt run healthcare we has shoved up our asses will be any better than the VA govt run healthcare is delusional and needs free psych care.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki resigns.

4. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Surprising, thought it would be an indefinite standoff because we all know he wouldn't have ever been fired by this CiC.

5. ethics

Fuck him. I am glad he got "resigned".

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

Would you say that our leader is even wimpier than a certain president in the 1970s?

7. ethics

Than Carter? It's a toss up.

8. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Carter was one term. Less damage. This one, we will spend 20 years getting past his crap.

9. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, Carter, and unfortunately the current one is giving us a double-whammy, as Copz said. We still had more sensible folks around in the 1970s.

10. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Thank God Shinseki has been driven out of another government posting. I used to feel sorry for the guy, but when I recall that he was fixated on providing new headgear for the Army when he was Chief of Staff--taking the Rangers' black berets from them and giving them to the ground troops--because it would make them "feel good," I remember that he's always been a shit nozzle. He went through all those motions to get the beret in service, when it might have been more worthwhile to, you know, spend the cash deploying more body armor.

Andy likes this.
  11. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Carter was the yardstick for sucky Presidents since Warren G Harding, this guy broke the yardstick in half and is forcing everyone to use Rods now.

12. Allene

Allene Registered User

Nicely put, Andy. :)

13. ethics

In a letter to President Barack Obama, U.S. Special Counsel Carolyn Lerner said the VA Office of the Medical Inspector has repeatedly undermined legitimate whistleblowers by confirming their allegations of wrongdoing, but dismissing them as having no impact on patient care.

The strongly worded critique adds a new layer to the veterans-care scandal that has rocked the VA and the Obama administration in recent months.

That's basically criminal to me. http://online.wsj.com/articles/spec...g-downplayed-medical-care-problems-1403538149

Among the cases that whistleblowers reported to the special counsel:

A veteran wasn't given his first comprehensive psychiatric evaluation until he had spent eight years as a resident of a Brockton, Mass., VA psychiatric unit, in 2011.

Drinking water at the VA facility in Grand Junction, Colo., was tainted with elevated levels of Legionella bacteria, which can cause a form of pneumonia, and standard maintenance and cleaning procedures weren't performed.

A VA pulmonologist in Montgomery, Ala., portrayed past test readings as current results in more than 1,200 patient files, "likely resulting in inaccurate patient health information being recorded," Ms. Lerner wrote.

In Buffalo, N.Y., VA staff sometimes mishandled sterile surgical instruments and failed to wear required protective gear.

14. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, it is criminal. Wouldn't it be nice if these people were arrested and justice served? In the current climate, they all act smug and condescending at their hearings, knowing that the media and the White House will help them get away with it. Disgraceful!

15. Greg

Greg Full Member

Foxy News Network this morning reported the number as about 1,000 in since the reports started coming in several years ago.

16. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

The conduct of the VA in general, specific members of the chain in particular are shameful and if there is justice punishable. But who has oversight over the VA? Who funds the VA? Who cuts all kind of promised benefits for vets the minute it become fashionable to do so? And who is investigating the VA? Ya, we will get justice when pigs fly.

There will be people who lose their jobs. There may be criminal convictions. But nobody will go to jail long enough to be justice. And no member of Congress will lose a wink of sleep over their part in this newest slap down to those who served their country.

ethics likes this.
  17. Arc

Arc Full Member

There are many elements to the VA scandal and separately to other problems in the VA.

However, there is one key enabler to make the acts that are the subject of the scandal. The entire VA system including all patient records and everything to do about the patient including appointments, what happen at the appointments and on and on are all computerized. No paper work. Unfortunately virtually all most anyone and everyone that works in the VA patient health care system has access to the computer with the ability to make changes as "needed."

Then there is an aggravating circumstance in that the majority of patients that rely upon the VA Health Care system are, with no disrespect in the slightest, are not what we might call kindly not very sophisticated.

18. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Hey!

ethics likes this.
  19. Greg

Greg Full Member

I believe the best solution to care of US military veterans is to give each a medical identification card equivalent to Blue Cross etc., or even contract with those insurance companies to handle routine medical care, and then dedicate the VA system to handling the specialized needs of our soldiers whose medical problems stem from injuries incurred during battle.

In other words, if you got your arm or leg shot off or have a skull plate or spinal injury incurred in battle, have the VA specialize on treating that. Disabilities, handicaps and prosthetics, same. If an ex-military has the flu or has cancer not related to military service, send them to private health care.

The government and the VA have done an excellent job of showing that the government is inadequate to handle the problems. Send the routine stuff to private medicine, the same place everybody who didn't serve goes. And send the bills to the government.

20. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

I was a patient at the Muskogee VAMC a couple of weeks ago. Went in for pneumonia, found out I also have heart failure. http://indefixa.ravensbeak.com/diet-dr-pepper-almost-killed-me

I cannot say enough good stuff about the care there. I went to my care team as a walk-in patient on a Monday morning. They sent me to x-ray, and before I had walked back downstairs, they had the results and were ready to wheel me to the ER. Couple of days in ICU, couple in step-down, and the care was awesome. I have a follow-up cardiac appointment July 28th, which is just a month after I was discharged. Not bad for never having seen a cardiologist there before.

I know it's anecdotal, but I know half a dozen vets who have been in the OK VAMCs, and they all have said the same things: great care.

But at the same time, Tulsa news had a story about a vet who was shuffled between Tulsa, Houston, and OKC over 4 days for heart surgery. He was prepped over and over again, so he didn't eat for those four days. He ended up refusing the surgery, and eventually committing suicide.

Greg's idea isn't horrid, but I'm not sure it's the best, either.