1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The United States of California

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Steve, Jan 3, 2003.

1. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

I recall reading somewhere, sometime when, that if California were a separate country, it would have something like the world's 7th largest economy. In a different, and very real, respect, California does have the same effect as a sovereign nation.

Consider this: Way back when, California created its stringent emissions control standards for automobiles. Now, I personally think this is a good thing and I'm all for the environment. In point of fact, California had (still does) a huge smog problem and really needed tighter controls on emissions. The rest of the country, at that time, was not in such dire straits.

But guess what happened? The automoble manufacturers arrived at the (correct) conclusion that it would be far too costly for them to make separate models, ones for California, and ones for the rest of the world. So now, all cars have California-level emissions controls (except for large production runs destined strictly for export out of North America).

Recently, California announced that all washing machines made and sold after a certain date (2004? 2005?) would have to be low-water-volume machines. These washing machines would have to use far less water cleaning the same amount of clothing. There are ways to do this with technology, plus there are certain formulations of laundry detergent that will help. And who can argue against conserving water, right? Certainly not I!

Yet...would anyone care to bet what the manufacturers of washing machines will do, come a few years from now? My money is betting they follow the lead of the car manufacturers.

So, although I agree with the particular motivations and actions in these two examples, I'm having a somewhat difficult time accepting that California's legislation, de facto, affects the entire country.

2. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

I don't get it. You cite two examples where the country follows California's lead then proceed to say you don't accept the premise that the country follows their lead? I must be missing something. Did I read it wrong?

3. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Sorry, not clear enough. California's influence is established. What I have a hard time accepting, is the fact that that influence is substantial enough to have the force of federal regulation on the rest of the country.

Instead of "accepting", perhaps I should have said "approving of the fact that"....

4. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Probably just because of the 30+ million population.

5. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

They can regulate whatever they want. The manufacturors can still choose to pollute the environments of other states with no consequence. It just costs more to do so. I personally don't see the problem. California is instituting controls to help the environment in its state, and then the manufacturors decide its not worth the effort to create seperate california models. If it was something stupid like you have to be able to mind control your computer to turn it on, then that's when they'll start making seperate California models...

6. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

California is one of the top 10 economies on the planet, that's true.

I would wish that other states, like Texas and New York, could also be so profitable!

SM

7. Paladin

Paladin Have Gun -- Will Travel

U.S. Population: approx 275 million.
    California Population: approx 35 million.

We have over 1/8th of the U.S. Population living and working in California.

8. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Yep, we're the largest, but what should be of some concern is the law passed last year that requires the California Air Resources Board to come up with stringent standards for CO2 emissions. Funny thing here is that CARB published their intentions prior to the law being passed. What is intended is zero CO2 emissions by 2010, 50 cent per gallon gas taxes, mandatory 40 MPG fuel efficieny standards and a substantial 'driving' tax if you travel more than 25 miles per day in your own vehicle.

Most of this will be gutted in the courts, as after the last go round with the more stringent emission controls, the Federal government reserved that right for itself.

To address your concerns Steve, I'd say yes...be very concerned. Much of our legislature is comprised of old hippies with a penchant for minding everyone else's business.

9. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Texas and New York pretty much have power year round. And Florida decided the last election. Who needs California?

10. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

LOL!!!

SM

11. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I still don't like that my TELCO is owned by someone in Texas...:-/

12. jamming

jamming Banned

Didn't every other state of the Union have power, when California didn't under Grey-Out Davis?;)

13. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Oh sure, laugh now spyboy...just wait until we legislate tofu into all your favorite foods and beverages and we start sending Streisand for her required 9 month beauty rests in Florida. :happy:

14. jamming

jamming Banned

:eek: I take it all back if you keep Babs. :angel:

15. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

As part of my effort to move this thread to a higher level of discussion, I will now point out that Florida considers California to be famous for growing fruits and nuts.

16. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

Do you know how hard it was street racing a 66 SS 396 Chevelle in 1975 and avoid the Cops because I took off the smog pump?

The fine was larger than if I laid patch for 2 blocks.

17. jamming

jamming Banned

Wouldn't this thread have been better titled "The PRC" or "The Peoples Republic of California"?;)

18. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Apparently, only the Democratic Presidential hopefuls......

19. yazdzik

yazdzik Veteran Member

Actually, California serves the useful purpose of keeping the ninth circuit judges from practicing law in a real courtroom with real people where they could do real harm....

20. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

ROTFLMAO!:thumbsup: