1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Trouble with Scientists

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, May 17, 2015.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Scientists suffer from cognitive biases just like everybody else. The scientific method is supposed to catch and correct such biases, but it is failing to do so. Why? Because to advance as a professional scientist you must publish; learned journals want to publish positive results, not negative ones; so confirmation bias is strengthened; and peer review slows the rate at which wrong claims can be contradicted.

What irks me is that as a man of science, scientists are becoming more and more religious like in their findings and when you have confirmation bias in science, the results can be disastrous.

I hope this catches on and the fact that there IS an article on this, gives me tremendous hope.

How One Psychologist Is Tackling Human Biases in Science

2. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I see relatives saying frequently that how can we question climate change, or rather that man is the chief cause of climate change. I find it alarming that one does not have to say it is wrong but only that there are other opinions to be classified as a neanderthal, barely beyond dragging one's knuckles on the ground. I have become reticent to even get involved in those discussions. To some degree I recognize it as cowardice but there is part of me that wants to place faith in science. Of course it is the same part of me that wants to believe that journalists police their own.

But on less important issues science has proclaimed undoubted facts only to change their minds years later as other studies have shown other outcomes. One only has to look at advice on different foods and how they are deadly one day and on another they are not. Begin with eggs and go as far as you want.

Due to my recent medical difficulties I have done a lot of reading on the diagnosis and treatment of cancers. It is absolutely amazing how many studies contradict one another. One says take this pill to reduce aggressiveness of the disease while another study says it can actually cause the disease. Both studies are done by accredited doctors and leading institutions with only the highest standards. Until you read about the financing of the institutions and how doctors are recompensed by drug companies.

When I was young, about the time they invented rope, doctors were expected to make above average money. As an example doctors drove Buicks. Now doctors drive Mercedes and Lexuses and the money the big doctors make compared to their patients is akin to a CEO's pay in relation to the man on the assembly line.

As always, follow the money. Capitalism can only work when it works for all. It is not apparent that it is doing so for our country.

Sorry for going a bit off topic, but follow the money.

ethics and Allene like this.
  3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Allene likes this.