1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Threat of Germ Warfare

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ditch, Jan 23, 2003.

1. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Just how likely is the use of biological weapons if Iraq is attacked. Surely Sadam knows the consequences of using them in terms of the response he is likely to get from the invaders. The worst has to be expected, its folly to think otherwise.

If he does, what would the expected response be, or is that too broad a question at this stage?

2. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

It's a bit unclear, Ditch... are you asking what will happen if Saddam uses germ warfare on the US armed forces if they attack Iraq, or -- as the article link seems to suggest -- are you thinking he might somehow arrange for a germ warfare strike on the continental US?

3. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Yes Your right there advocat, the article is in reference to the domestic US. I read the article and started thinking about Iraq, then made the post. Mind detaches from brain.

My question was really in relation to an attack on the troops in Irag if an attack goes ahead. The probability of an attack in the US is a less likely possibility but god forbid, it certainly could happen. Desperate times for Saddam coming up and they demand desperate measures.

4. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

In either event, I believe the US would resort to even tactical nuclear weapons, possibly RNEPs which supposedly would not leak radiation to the atmosphere. The real question is what would happen if Saadam uses bio-chemical weapons against Israel knowing Israel has nuclear capability.

5. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

That's a strong possibility Mike especially after the scuds he fired on them in the previous conflict. Israel restrained from retaliating then but you wouldn't expect a repeat of that if chemicals replace the scuds this time round.

If Saddam sees the end coming I doubt that setting oil fields ablaze as he did in Kuwait will be all he does this time. And he is bound to see the end coming if there is a US led attack, as going in for a second time and not removing Saddam permanently is surely not an option.

6. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

It wouldn't surprise me any if Saddam has WMD hidden in the oil fields. When the US army tries to seize them he uses them.

7. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Not sure how relevant this is to the situation to today but we can look to the Gulf War as a possible predictor.

Saddam had chemical weapons, and the means to deliver them tactical range by artillery or from long range via Scud missiles. He had already shown his will to use them on the Kurds.

However, the U.S. in clear diplomatic language, (there is an oxymoron), told Saddam that if he used them on our troops we would use nukes on him.

Israel backed up that promise with a bit stronger demonstration. Just prior to the start of the war it successfully launched one of its missiles in a "test." The missile was the type capable of carrying an Israeli nuke and very capable of hitting accurately anywhere within Iraq.

Saddam got the message.

8. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I'm sure he's aware of what is likely if he uses chemicals. If he sees his last hurrah is imminent he's sure to want to do something to be remembered by.

9. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Saddam has repeatedly shown that he does not care what happens to his people. He only cares what happens to Saddam. Last time he was looking for a way to save his skin. This time he knows that won't happen so he has no reason to hold back. Unless, of course, he cuts bait and runs to whatever hole will hide him.

10. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I wonder if he'll find a hole. There are certainly some more likely than others to give him refuge like North Korea or Libya whose name came up a few months back. There was a story going that Saddam had offered some huge sum if Gadddafi took him in. One thing for sure, Gadaffi would take the money but Saddam as well, I'm not so sure.

If anyone does they could be in for more trouble than they'd reckoned on. He, and therefore whoever gives him a hole, will not be left alone regardless. Hitler had the right idea when the end was nigh.

11. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I'm not so sure that we'd pursue him. In fact, I rather doubt it.

The goal of this will not be to prosecute Saddam, but to effect a regime change and disarm Iraq, liberate the people. If he flees, that goal is not accomplished, but neither is it comprimised.

12. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

We've sent him the same message this time. U.S. plans nuclear strategy for Iraq.