1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Thirst for Justice Goes Unfulfilled by the Whine

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mikeky, Jan 9, 2003.

1. mikeky

mikeky Member

Injustices abound, it would seem. Goliath takes on David and <a href="https://secure.thing.net/backbone/">takes away his slingshot rocks</a>.
    The Gestapo comes knocking and <a href="http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/25000"]>leaves with the goods</a>.
    And while the skies may be friendly, seems the airports themselves <a href="http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig3/monahan1.html">should consider decaf</a>.
    Each of the stories above, no doubt somewhat embellished and told from a self-serving view point, nevertheless describes an injustice that stirs. To be so moved one only need think of the many to have died for the right to free speech, only to have it easily squashed as above. Or think of the scale of justice that should be tempered with mercy but is heavily weighted for a relatively minor offense. Or see the abuse of the innocent rationalized in the name of protecting the innocent. Each of these events should surely be enough to make all spring into action to fight for truth and right.

But not really. For each of those listed above found it too costly to fight for what they believed to be right. And that is as disturbing as the original actions perpetrated upon them. Realism dictates that it be understood it can be expensive to fight in court and otherwise. And yes, large corporations and the government have much money to spend and personnel to throw around. However, while juggernauts undoubtedly, these are not invincible; they can be beaten if wrong, given enough sacrifice of tenaciousness, time, money. It seems though that sacrifice for justice is no longer much in fashion. It is much easier to merely whine about the grievance, to solicit sympathy and consolation, and then move on without suffering burden for what is right. Alas, this attitude forgets these unacceptable actions affect not only themselves but others to come; their shirk from the fight will allow others to be so victimized, perhaps even to a worse extent. But the fight is called off anyway, only the whine is served, and the thirst for justice goes unfulfilled for all.

2. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Mike, this topic certainly warrants discussion.

But before it gets long into it, I want to say thank you for posting it in the insightful way you did. You address a legit issue of heavy-handedness on the part of government, as opposed to engage in "cop bashing" which has become so vogue.

You're right in that we're losing our way. On one end, things like the above happen. On the other end, we're being required to frisk down 85-year-old grannies to make it fair for the 30-year-old Saudis.

A fair bit of common sense, with a government run by people with common sense, would be nice.

3. btdude

btdude Veteran Member

LOL COP stop changing your avatar, already. How the hell can we follow you good cops (I know for a fact MOST cops are good) if ya keep changin' for cryin' outloud?

4. mikeky

mikeky Member

And I don't want this thread to be about cop bashing; the vast majority do a great job. What irks me is those victims that will take every opportunity to complain about abuses but will seek no remedy because it could be a burden to them. To me it would be an embarrassment to accept punishment for something I didn't do or didn't deserve, and while I might ultimately go along if the price is too high, I would hope I wouldn't whine about the consequences.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Great topic, indeed. Will sink my teeth on this in a bit, when I look in to the issue more. :)

6. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

What I am having a hard time understanding is why they took his monitors, keyboards, mice, etc. And why not at least give the man back a copy of his work projects? They could have offered him the option of paying them to have someone clone his drives for him so that he can continue his work.

I think this is a very clear case of making an example out of someone. I could understand the Internet provider refusing him service, but nabbing him with feds? Then they steal his computer equipment and never return it? Bleh! :kissmy:

7. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Whining without action.....let me break out my broadest brush, here, and paint a whole segment of society......

What you accurately note and rightfully deplore seems to me a symptom of a greater malaise within our society; namely, an unwillingness to take responsibility, let alone act responsibly.

I believe the unexpressed hope in most such cases is that "someone" will come to their rescue. Get enough publicity, and surely someone will rise to the occasion, surely someone will put forth their time, their energy, their money to defend the "little guy". We should not be surprised that "someone" isn't around anymore; he's adopted the same attitude!

Sure, there are plenty of lawyers around willing to defend the little guy...if enough money is at stake. There are probably even some who act out of altruism, or on principle. We never hear about them, though. What we do hear is that incessant whine of people looking for others to stand up for what is right.

We hear the calls for others to take on certain responsibilities. We hear the pleas for everyone to act responsibly. And in the ringing silence of the reply, we learn that we've given up something very precious, something very necessary: civic responsibility.

"You can't fight City Hall"? Apparently, precious few are even trying, anymore.

8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

As I was saying in another thread...

(sorry, couldn't resist). I WISH it were otherwise, though, I really do Steven.

9. Frodo Lives

Frodo Lives to hit it!

That has a lot of truth.

To quote a few lines from a song,

"And they say that a hero can save us,
    I'm not gonna stand here and wait."

10. mikeky

mikeky Member

Very well put.