1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Sue Society

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Mar 4, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Remember Andrew Burnett? He's the guy who famously tossed Sara McBurnett's dog into traffic, killing it, after she dinged his car three years ago. Burnett is still in prison for the fatal pooch-pitching, but the San Jose Mercury News reports he "is suing the dead dog's former owner and the Mercury News for causing him everything from mental anguish to post-traumatic stress disorder over the matter."

Full story here.
  2. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Editted out because I was sure she hadn't hit his car. SORRY :)

ANYWAY, it was a road-rage incident. I think what happened was that the lady got in front of the guy, who was already being an a$$hole to several other drivers, and the guy thought she cut him off, so when traffic had stopped, he got out of his car and went to her car and tossed the dog into the other side of the highway.

And now he's sueing her for being in jail? He should be sueing HIMSELF for having such a short fuse. Dumb :friggin:
  3. ethics

There really needs to be a repercussion law. Sort of like sue and if you don't win, there will be penalties. I think that should cut down on these dumb suings, no?
  4. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Well, no, because cases are judged on an individual case, right? So you file a lawsuit because of X reason, and your lawyer assures you that others who have sued for X reason have always received favorable judgements - but then you get denied because the judge felt you didn't have a legal claim. Should you get punished because the judge didn't think you had a valid claim?

Ths guy is sueing this lady out of spite - because she didn't take the murdering of her dog laying down. This guy was a bonafide bully, and he's still bullying her. The case should be thrown out of court because of Freedom of the Press - they are allowed to publish news, and they didn't lie or make anything up on the guy - he really IS a dipshit who flew off the handle and murdered a little dog. And he has no claim against this woman because he vicitimized HER - how can he turn around and claim she victimized him? If police dismissed the fender bender, he doesn't have a claim. He's just trying to bully her, to torment her, because she didn't let him get away with being a jerk.
  5. Fiona

Fiona Veteran Member

:thumbsup: My sis and I were just saying the same thing yesterday... THIS IS RIDICULOUS! It's like me punching you and suing you for my broken hand! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!:mad:
  6. ethics

No, your lawyer should be though. If you lose a trial, however, you lose something. Either money, or some other entity that's going to hurt you.
  7. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

He evidently does not have a lawyer. According to the article, he is representing himself. Now the saying that someone who represents himself has a fool for a lawyer is usually very true. What I'd be worried about is what this person will do once he gets out. Will he go after her and try to do something really dumb?
  8. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Apparently the descendants of the dog are suing the guy who is suing the woman who is countersuing the guy, for dogslaughter. The driver of the car who hit the dog is suing the descendants of the dead dog for damage to his car and stress caused by all the BS surrounding the event. :violin: