1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Stephanopoulos Kerfuffle

Discussion in '2016 Election' started by SixofNine, May 15, 2015.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Oh George, if you're going to grill the author of Clinton Cash on your "This Week Without George Stephanopoulos" (I use "without" because in almost all of the intermittent times I have checked out this Sunday morning news talk show, he has had a guest host :) ), you might want to disclose that you've given the Clinton Foundation $75,000 yourself.

Here's a link to an article in today's WSJ. If it's paywalled, the article in Politico linked below also has the full story. We're not in Brian Williams territory, but the smell is not pleasant.

Stephanopoulos read a demi-apology on Good Morning America today, part of which invoked the standard Clintonian crutch that he did it for the children, not for premium access to Hillary's campaign (and, perhaps, to a Clinton White House).

Oh, and the Washington Free Beacon discovered this story, but when they called ABC for confirmation before publishing the story, ABC spitefully gave the scoop to Politico. That did not sit well with Politico writer Jack Shaffer:

Shafer is also good at translating PR speak into English: :D

2. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I think we're in a time that is unprecedented. The press has become entirely biased, manipulative, and unapologetic for it. Yes, I know they say things to try to placate the masses, but at the end of the day, they think they are above it all.

I heard Tom Brokaw do his "This... is an American story" waste-of-time a couple weeks ago, and he was talking about Brian Williams. He was kind of urging restraint from the public and the rest of the press, to let the checks and balances run its course. Imagine such a thing... Someone from the press, asking to let the system run its course and not rush to judgement. Quite unlike what the press does every day with politicians, police, basically everything else.

And the end of his mini-segment, he said he often hears from people who say "You're not going to believe what I read on the internet", he responds "You're right, I'm not going to believe what you read on the internet." Completely lost on him was the fact that Brian Williams is of the same medium as Tom Brokaw. And let's not forget Dan Rather. Birds of a feather.

Who is it that can't be believed, again?

What they really lament about the internet is that they're not the only players in the game any more. They do not have the stranglehold on shaping public policy through media any more.

Douchebags, one and all.

ShinyTop and ethics like this.
  3. Greg

Greg Full Member

The real problem is that much of America believes the liberal media. There is so little to compare it with when you are wearing your liberal tinted glasses.

I suppose there are people who say I'm just as bad, because I watch Fox News Network for my news. Are they biased? Yes. Are they telling the truth? I think so. At least more closely than the liberal media.

What we have is a small number of very rich people at the top, a shrinking middle class, and a burgeoning "entitled" lower class either working shit jobs or on the dole. Note that most who receive government assistance are in this class, and it is to their benefit to vote for larger government. Add to them all the government employees, and many of the union workers, and you have a huge mass who wants more government.

I don't see how this isn't a recipe for disaster. The more you tap the rich the better they either protect their assets or send them overseas, same as corporations. Shifting more of the burden on this group causes the group to shrink, leaving fewer to bear the burden, causing more to flee.

As far as the middle class, if they want to tap me too hard I'll just sell my business assets and put the money under my mattress.