1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The spread of Linux...

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Robert Harris, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

This is an interesting news item:

Japan mulls Windows replacement
    By Winston Chai
    CNETAsia
    November 21, 2002, 7:34 AM PT

SINGAPORE--Vulnerabilities of its Windows operating system may cost Microsoft dearly as the Japanese government is set to evaluate open-source alternatives to beef up computer security.

The authorities are contemplating the move for its e-government projects because problems in open platforms such as Linux are thought to be easier to fix, Kyodo News reported.

More at:
    http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104-966700.html

Story also notes that India is moving in that direction, and maybe China, altho it has less specifics about them.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

And in related news, US is converting to the metric system!

Come on, they can bluff and say things like this all they want, I doubt anyone will be leaving MS.

For the record, I am not pro-MS but I am not exactly a MS hater either.

3. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Actually, the German government migrated to Linux on all of its systems a couple of years ago precisely for security concerns. The German government believed that MS had left a backdoor into any supposedly secure system available with the exact details of what would be needed to exploit it provided to the U.S. government.

4. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

NYSE is in the process of converting to Linux. At Super Computing 2002 Linux 64 bit will be the new standard for SGI SCFX shared filesystem that our government will use to find the bad guys. MS is sucking wind in the big stuff. It has a place on the desktop for those who just want point and click which is the majority of the public, but the in the know will still have SUN workstations and *nix in the data centers.

5. EMIG

EMIG Yup

6. jamming

jamming Banned

I just want to point out this as it was strange to me. When you re-read your posts and substitue the word "disease" for "linux" of course it requires some other changes. But it is almostlike your talking about a disease.

Robert- China, Japan, and Singapore have outbreaks of Linux
    Ethics - In related news, Linux may only be benign.
    Coot- Linux has been reported in a different strain in Germany
    Fritz- The NYSE has an outbreak of Linux, and the government is rushing innoculations to the site and spreading innoculations around the country.
    EMIG- Meanwhile Linux has also broken out at the NSA.

I mean I know what you are talking about, but it is almost too funny. :cool:
    How many of you Linux buffs ever worked on Unix?

7. EMIG

EMIG Yup

I've worked on many commercial Unices, if that's what you mean. The word "Unix" used to belong to AT&T, who sold it to Novell, who sold it to Corel, I think.

Anyways, there hasn't been anything called just "Unix" since the late '80s, AFAIK.

It's hard to talk about this without sounding pedantic, for some reason. In any case, I'm genuinely trying to help, and not get off on some ego trip.

I came to Unix late, and loved well almost immediately. It has a long and checkered past. You can look here, if you want the gory details:

http://www.levenez.com/unix/

8. jamming

jamming Banned

No I played around on Unix in the early 80's,so I was just wondering. I programmed in many now dead languages, but many of the algorithms, I designed are still used in specific application realtime control systems today.

9. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Well, that certainly explains things. I was playing with (Atari and MS) DOS in the '80s. I couldn't afford AT&T Unix or the hardware it ran on...

10. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

Only UNIX I've spent more than a week on is HP/UX. My dad's work used to have a rather nice cluster of HP/UX machines that are now gone, as they apparently favor *shudder* NT 4.0.

11. fritzmp

fritzmp Fire Fire For Effect

hehehe, 80's, CP/M Epson QX-10 :) I actualy kind of wish IBM made a deal for CP/M instead of DOS. Who knows what things would be like now. Oh well.

edit: I forgot Valdocs for CP/M was qute smart for it's time http://www.obsoletecomputermuseum.org/qx-10/

I think I still have the floppys laying around, as well as an original of D&G.