1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Rise and Fall of Silk Road

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, May 25, 2015.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Wow! I have just finished Part 1 (with lots of interruptions). I thought it was going to be about the old trade route and wondered why Wired would write about such a topic. This is mesmerizing, but duty calls me into the kitchen. I can't wait to read Part 2. Thanks for posting it, Brian.

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Finished part 2! This would make a good movie. It's actually a psychological study of what can happen to some people who live under a false identity or identities.

4. SixofNine

I'm sure that it will become a movie. One of the amoral lessons that I drew from this story is that if the guy had known enough about security he wouldn't have been caught. :)

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

Yes, that's true. He was an amateur. Without spoiling the story for any other readers here, I found the ending that affected more than one person from both sides very interesting, to say the least! The central character could have gone far in the normal world of work, but he didn't like doing the humdrum stuff along the way that the rest of us just deal with. He wanted to go to the top ASAP--the curse of instant gratification. The other main player in this story actually felt more comfortable in his make-believe world than he did in his real life.

I was reading not long ago about the hidden children of World War II. I am comparing two varieties of apples here, rather than outright apples and oranges. These were Jewish children who were being hidden for the duration of the war. They went through a "depersonalization" process, where they had to forget their own names, origins, and religion and take on new identities. They all had problems after the war ended, some worse than others. A couple of them actually developed psycho tendencies.

6. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Ulbricht sentenced in Silk Road case

Even now, he doesn't show real remorse for the site.

No, Ulbricht is a self-centered sociopath who thought he was above the law and would never get caught.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

I agree. He is creepy!

8. dsl987

dsl987 Member

Great read - thanks for sharing.

Another good read if you can find it, is The Cuckoo's Egg. Great story about tracking hackers in the early days of dial up connections.

9. SixofNine

Excellent book by Clifford Stoll, a physicist by training. He did something on PBS (I forget if it was one special or a multi-parter) based on the book.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    dsl987 likes this.
  10. dsl987

dsl987 Member

LOL i'm confused, which is not hard now that i'm over 50... but how did we jump from Cliff Stoll to Cercei's walk of shame?
    :unsure-52:

11. SixofNine

Beats me, must have snuck in from my clipboard. It's hard to keep a good story down. :D

dsl987 likes this.
  12. dsl987

dsl987 Member

13. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

14. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

You always have those niche reads, Brian.