1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The righteous indignation brigade is at it again

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Biker, Feb 23, 2018.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Then they go on to say they shouldn't have eaten it, it's a pet, etc etc etc etc.

Phooey. Only difference between a potbelly pig and your normal farm pig is you ain't gonna get much (if any) bacon off the potbelly pig. But man oh man, you're gonna get a ton of lard to make wonderful things with.
    cdw likes this.
  2. Allene

Allene Registered User

Poor piggy! This reminds me of a trip we made to a pet supply shop in town that also sold pets. The fellow who waited on us had just sold a rabbit to some people who were in line ahead of us. He was bent over laughing because the purchasers asked him if it would be okay to eat the rabbit it they got tired of having it as a pet!
  3. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Left Coast Fiscal Conservative

Lard makes excellent soap! However I have adopted a more trendy "all vegetable" recipe using olive, palm, coconut and castor oils. I quit playing with recipes for the most part and focus on making decorated soaps that smell good, 100% natural ingredients and no animals in my soap. :)

It just occurred to me that there are animals in my soap: goat's milk. However that brings to mind the difference between being involved and being committed: in a bacon and egg sandwich the chicken is involved while the pig is committed. ;)
  4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Soap?!!!!! Are you daft?!

Only way to make a prize winning pie crust is to use lard. Want to really spice up those eggs in the morning? Use lard in lieu of butter or vegetable oil.
    ShinyTop likes this.
  5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Now that's righteous indignation!
    Biker and Allene like this.
  6. Susan Addams

Of course I use lard to make pie crusts. It's just that I don't eat (or make) sweets very often on account of wanting to keep my figure.
    Sounds more like Biker woke up grumpy. :p
  7. Arc

Arc Full Member

You know those countless ads over the decades where margarine brands advertise that you can't tell the difference between butter and their margarine? I've always thought to myself that anyone that couldn't tell the difference between margarine and butter couldn't tell the difference between lard and butter. :)
    Allene likes this.
  8. Susan Addams

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard! For the record I do not eat margarine, especially the kind with GMO canola oil, which is actually rapeseed oil renamed to be PC.

Also, you can make tamales from masa harina and lard but you can't make them from masa harina and butter.
    Allene likes this.