1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Right to Die and Who Controls It

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Oct 16, 2003.

1. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Merged.

2. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

E-mail:
    Governor Jeb Bush
    jeb.bush@myflorida.com

Write:
    PL 05 The Capitol
    400 South Monroe Street
    Tallahassee, FL 32399-0001

Telephone:
    850/488-4441
    Fax: 850/487-0801

Tell him! :)

Edit: I just did and I feel a lot better. :)

3. Arc

Arc Full Member

One day after an exhaustive autopsy sought to end much of the controversy over Terri Schiavo's life, and eventual death, Gov. Jeb Bush said he plans to ask prosecutors to investigate whether her husband took too long to call for help on the night she collapsed in 1990.

*snip*

Bush said Thursday that he had talked to Dr. Jon Thogmartin, the Pinellas-Pasco medical examiner, a day before Thogmartin publicly released the results of his autopsy on Terri Schiavo, who died on March 31 after a protracted legal and political battle.

Thogmartin told him [Bush] he had gained access to information suggesting that there was a 70-minute delay between when Michael Schiavo first heard a ''bump'' in the early morning hours of Feb. 25, 1990 and when he eventually called 911.

It was in 1990 that 26-year-old Terri Schiavo suffered severe brain damage when her heart stopped for five minutes. She lived another 15 years.

A 26-year-old person in otherwise normal health with no prior record of arrhythmia or heart-stoppage and absent some artificial event or some other rare reason just doesnt have their heart stop for no reason.

Because she did not die at the time and absent any overt indications or warning signs of foul play the issue was as I understand it never really looked at to any scrutiny if at all. And if that is true that also would be perfectly proper.

If she had not been revived and died there would have been an autopsy, (the most definitive of investigation tools on the body of the deceased), and there most likely would have an answer as to exactly why her heart stopped and also probably would have revealed any physical evidence of anything else abnormal in or on her body. However, since she did not die not die until 15 years later most such evidence IF it existed in 1990 would not show up in an autopsy 15 years after the fact.

Based solely upon the MSM reports and GA posts it was the Medical Examiner in charge of the autopsy who told Bush about the 70 minute delay until a call for help was made. A delay of that time REGARDLESS OF THE REASON would likely produce the damage to Schiavo that left in her in a permanent vegetative state and her eventual death.

Based upon the new facts by the local ME Bush as asked for an investigation into the 70 minute delay.
    On the facts alone this is wrong why?

If the MSM reports of the facts and context of the ME are accurate than it would be irresponsible for authorities not to investigate it.

Given the facts so far it was proper not to "investigate" 15 years earlier but it is perfectly proper to do so now. More than proper. But the investigation should be the by the book routine investigation and nothing else.

4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

This whole thing is bogus Arc. The ME didn't 'uncover' anything with respect to when the call was made and when Michael Schiavo said he discovered his wife. The only record of anything is the time stamped 911 call. Schiavo's statements to the media on different occasions as to when he 'discovered' his wife in dire straits is where the 40-70 minute discrepancy is coming from.

Does anyone honestly believe that someone will remember exact times and sequences of events 12 years after the fact? This is nothing but craven political posturing on the part of despicable excuse for a human being; attempting to continue to trade and feed politically on the misfortunes of a family.

5. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

On Thursday, Schiavo's sister, Suzanne Vitadamo, said that the autopsy report ``created as many questions as it may have answered.''

''The major question for our family that now remains is what happened?'' she said, noting the ``troubling 70-minute gap.''

Vitadamo said that Michael Schiavo has said Terri collapsed at 4:30 a.m. -- ''Mr. Schiavo said this on Larry King Live and he also re-confirmed it to the [medical examiner] during his investigation,'' she said.

Source is from my previous post...

So, is this the "gaining access to information suggesting..." that Gov. Bush is using to continue to investigate Michael Schiavo?? Because he said it on Larry King and again to the medical examiner 15 years after the fact?? What about the culpability of the responding rescue unit that took 12 whole minutes to arrive at the scene after the original 911 call?? What if the telecommunicator at the 911 PSAP talked to Michael Schiavo for 5 minutes before logging the complaint?? Now we're up to 17 minutes!! And, if Michael had to wait for call routing before being answered by a real dispatcher, he could have waited another 5 minutes!! Wow!! We're now up to 22 minutes!!! Maybe we should investigate the culpability of the 911 center and the whole phone service provider!! But wait!! Isn't there some state legislation responsible for phone service?? Taxing and authority type of stuff?? Well, now we have legislators who need to be investigated... Uh Oh!! Doesn't the Governor have to sign legislative bills to enact them into law??? Holey Moley!! The Governor should investigate himself!!!

:rolleyes:

A witch hunt... An abuse of power by the state's highest elected official because he can't admit he was wrong...

BDD...

6. Arc

Arc Full Member

Parting "Shot."

Michael Schiavo is if nothing else consistent in his behavior and positions. He apparently is also a "last word" and one last shot salt in the wounds type of guy.

The burial of Terri Schiavos cremated remains didnt bring an end to the acrimony between her husband and her family.

Michael Schiavo angered his late wifes family Monday by not notifying them about the burial beforehand and by inscribing on her bronze grave marker the words I kept my promise.

Schiavo actually died March 31, nearly two weeks after her feeding tube was removed by court order. The grave marker lists that date as when Schiavo was at peace.

David Gibbs, an attorney for the womans parents, Bob and Mary Schindler, decried the inscriptions on the marker. Obviously, thats a real shot and another unkind act toward a grieving mom and dad, Gibbs said.

Michael Schiavo had said her ashes would be buried at a family plot in Pennsylvania. But on Monday his attorney, George Felos, said in a statement that the service and burial had taken place at Sylvan Abbey Memorial Park in Clearwater.

The statement did not explain why Schiavo, who lives near Clearwater, decided to keep his wifes remains in Florida. He did not return a phone call seeking additional information.
    Schiavos parents had opposed her cremation.

Services for Schiavo already had been conducted in nearby Gulfport, where her parents live, and in Pennsylvania, where she grew up.

The Schindlers attorney said the family was notified by fax only after Mondays service, when the family had already started getting calls from reporters.

Source.

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

The spouse decides if the parting one should be buried or cremated, not mom and dad.

And after the bs they put him through, I am surprised he didn't do worse.

8. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Yeah, at this point, it seems to me that he's thinking "What's there to lose? They're still trashing me."

9. Greg

Greg Full Member

I am completely sympathetic to Michael Schiavo's actions. His wife's parents and Gov. Bush are delusional.

I hope this is the end of the story. Michael deserves to get on with his life and his wife's parents deserve to get on with their delusion -- which hopefully will turn into acceptance and perhaps in the distant future forgiveness if not understanding.

10. cdw

I see absolutely no reason what so ever why this man should respect or give a crap about these people who have called him a murderer since the day he wouldn't share the money with them. And I have no clue why they would expect him to, be surprised by it, or why it's "news" worth printing.

I hope that Jeb rethinks his proposal and spends all the money it would cost for an investigation and trial and puts the money towards the school district instead.

11. cdw

A sigh of relief, it's FINALLY over. http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/07/08/governor.schiavo.ap/index.html

This man can now get on with what is left of his life and her parents can still live in denial.

12. Greg

Greg Full Member

Yeah, and dumbass Jeb Bush can go on to become president. (Not if my vote counts.)