1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Right to Die and Who Controls It

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Oct 16, 2003.

1. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I'm not surprised. Strongly held moral beliefs cause people to think emotionally instead of logically.
  2. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Self delusion is apparently an affliction that can strike even those amongst us who can usually be counted on to be the most logical and rational. I see she's linking to two other toolkits on this issue, Patterico and Captain Ed. It never ceases to amaze me just what happens when otherwise intelligent people drink the koolaid.
  3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

It's really funny. I don't have one source in which I agree with 100%. I am so down the middle it's not even funny.
  4. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

Jeez, did she ever have any to lose?

I've been reading her blog for about seven or eight months, now, not missing a post. She's often entertaining, rarely credible, and never objective. No surprises in this column!
  5. ethics

She has been, but I have to admit too many months ago.

I can even understand bias as long as it is backed up by facts. She can't even do that.
  6. joseftu

I wonder why I'm so loyal to her, though. It's like a guilty pleasure. I often read her blog, even on days when I don't have time for anything else on my blogroll.

She's a good writer, that's part of it, and she sometimes brings issues that others are ignoring (a recent pretty good, if shallow, post about the Damsel in Distress syndrome is what I'm remembering).

But she's really, on many issues, so full of crap that it's amazing. Yet I never stop reading her!

Do you ever read Publius' Legal Fiction Blog? http://lawandpolitics.blogspot.com/

He's really good--also not especially objective, but much more open about that fact, and reliably intelligent.
  7. ethics

She is a good writer, embodies a voice of the shrill? ;)

I read both right, left, and between sources. It helps me understand the issue fully.

No, but thanks for the suggestion. :)
  8. joseftu

You know, by nature, in real life, I'm a very calm person--rarely a harsh word for anyone. Maybe that's why I relish a good shrill screamer, or nasty flame-war, online.

(I even laugh at the Rude Pundit--and he's really nasty!)
  9. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I do not think the issue for the Bush boys, George and BTL, was ever about the sanctity of life. They were after the precedent. After all, when discovered that they only have a half a brain between them, they do not want to be taken off life support.
  10. joseftu

Some kind of affectionate Florida nickname?
  11. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

My term for our distinguished governor, meaning Bush the Lesser.
  12. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Well, after taking in a compendium of the Michael Schiavo hating blog faction of the right, I'm coming away with something rather unsettling...namely you really don't want to be the last person to see a loved one in good health prior to their health suddenly going into the crapper.

The logic goes something like this:

1. Aunt Linda had a heart attack.

2. Uncle Richard saw her just before it happened.

3. Uncle Richard found her some time later.

4. Uncle Richard cannot explain to our satisfaction just how Aunt Linda came to have this heart attack.

5. Uncle Richard wants to disconnect her life support.

6. What's he trying to hide?

7. Uncle Richard had to have given her something to cause this heart attack, else he wouldn't want her dead now.

8. Aunt Linda's autopsy shows that her ventricles were so diseased that the heart could no longer maintain pumping action.

9. Yes, but the autopsy didn't say that the damage was not caused by something Uncle Richard gave her.

10. Uncle Richard is a vile murderer who is getting away with his crime and all of the immoral people in this world are helping him cover this up.
  13. ethics

THat's about the summary, Coot. I still can't believe people were sending Reynolds hate mail because he thought the courts did their job and doctors all came to the same conclusion.

Then again, maybe I can believe it.
  14. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

Give it a rest, Jeb...

One day after an exhaustive autopsy sought to end much of the controversy over Terri Schiavo's life, and eventual death, Gov. Jeb Bush said he plans to ask prosecutors to investigate whether her husband took too long to call for help on the night she collapsed in 1990.

Bush said Thursday that he had talked to Dr. Jon Thogmartin, the Pinellas-Pasco medical examiner, a day before Thogmartin publicly released the results of his autopsy on Terri Schiavo, who died on March 31 after a protracted legal and political battle.

Bush said Thogmartin told him he had gained access to information suggesting that there was a 70-minute delay between when Michael Schiavo first heard a ''bump'' in the early morning hours of Feb. 25, 1990 and when he eventually called 911.

What next?? Going after Michael Schiavo for unpaid parking tickets?? Jaywalking?? :rolleyes:

Give it a rest, Jeb...

15. ethics

Now it's getting dangerous and clear example of abuse of power.
  16. joseftu

A governor of a state on a personal vendetta against one of the citizens of his state. That's what it looks like, anyhow.

Shiny's nickname for Jeb Bush is far too flattering, I think!
  17. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Isn't it just amazing? When I read about it this afternoon I couldn't believe it. Should they get *anything* and I mean *anything* that they can imply (not prove) that he did something or didn't do something, they are going to go after this guy and somehow charge him with murder. Even though it was the state that pulled the tubes, they are going to go after him for murder. And, I wouldn't doubt it one bit that he gets convicted. Wrongfully. And watch the tales that come out now...about how they saw bruises, how they saw this, that, the other thing. There will be friends who come out of the woodwork that say she had told them she was afraid of him, etc.
    It's disgusting. Just plain old disgusting. When he starts a legal fund, I'm donating.
  18. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

It's just more political posturing, Cyd. I doubt very seriously if something will come of it.
  19. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Half a brain? You are too charitable..
  20. rowd

rowd Spark Maker

Have you NO Decency, Sir?

Gov. Bush Seeks Another Inquiry in Schiavo Case

Governor Bush should be ashamed of himself. I realize politicians tend to be self serving in order to get re-elected but IMHO all I can say to Jeb on this one is:

"Have you No decency, Sir?"

I really cringe with embarrasment as an American citizen when I see poiticians act this way. :blush: